Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DIY laser power test

SO i tore up my first DVD burner for a laser. The burner was an 8x. It was giving me problems for years so i was more than happy to break it.

I was successfully to get it to light up on 3.3v in short periods. ( I didn't wanna burn it up )

I accidentally fried the diode by applying almost 5v. It even made a nice little sizzle sound as it fried.

So how do i test the output power of my laser after it is created? I'm having trouble getting my bearings on this site, and finding the resources i want. I've been using the search function however when you don't know what your looking for... :)

Thanks in advance.

Things

well you need a power meter! but if you don't have one, lots of people on this forum do, and will be willing to test it for you!

LarryQ

For more power( in mw)..more current( in ma) is required...the operating voltage should remain @ 2.8 volts...

Someone here had some luck using voltage and current readings and running them through a formula to give a ballpark estimate of predicted output power.

Try the search function to find that post....

Otherwise..you will need access to a laser power meter.

LarryQ

things said:
well you need a power meter! but if you don't have one, lots of people on this forum do, and will be willing to test it for you!
What sort of power meter. I've got plenty of multimeter's.

A laser power meter. And unless any of your meters set you back $350 or more, you don't have one.

Ashton

Because it's a quality laser meter, they're all close to $1000, as I said, it's est to just send them off to somone and pay them to test the laser unless you have dozens and dozens of lasers to test, it's jsut not worth it to form over the cash for a meter.