Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DIY Laser Engraving Pen using 120mW 780nm diode

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello :D

I want to show you my laser engraving pen which can write on dark plastic and wood. This idea came me when I saw my 780nm laser diodes lying around which I salvaged out from DVD burners. The advantage of 780nm is the human eye almost isn't sensitive to this wavelength, but is dangerous if you shine this diode to your eyeballs (no blink effect). Other advantage of this laser project is very low cost of components (old CD/DVD burner, LM317 Voltage Regulator and some resistors/caps). It's easy to make and it's made mainly from PC scrap parts lying around.

You will need: old metal pen, focusing lens (eg. from CD/DVD burner), 780nm laser diode from CD/DVD burner, LM317, 15ohm resistor, small power supply which can provide 12V and current more than 200mA and finally freetime :)

You can see prototype of my laser engraving pen (sorry for poor quality, but it was filmed 4 months ago and I wasn't have a HD camera):

Laser Engraving Pen 120mW@780nm [PL]

Comment & subscribe on my You Tube channel ;)

rafalrrrr, Rafał Rdzanek

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.