Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DIY Blu-Ray 803T

caleb

can someone help me build a blu-ray laser with the 803T GB diode.

what current do i need? what is the most appropriate driver (i think it is HighTechDeals that has Lavadrives for $6)

how many mW will i get?

what is the min voltage? i was hoping to run it off 3V using a leadlight for a host.

i have a dx module but i may use that for a red burner, should i get a Aixis... is it much beter

and, i have no experience, i may build a red burner before trying this but i am buying the blu-ray diode atm...

thanks in advance...

spensa

caleb said:
what current do i need? what is the most appropriate driver (i think it is HighTechDeals that has Lavadrives for $6)

how many mW will i get?

This dependeds on you, do you want longevity or power?
This depends on the current you choose
flex drive for $6? link?

caleb said:
what is the min voltage? i was hoping to run it off 3V using a leadlight for a host.

If using a flexdrive the minumum voltage is 2.5 volts so 3 volts is sufficient.

caleb said:
i have a dx module but i may use that for a red burner, should i get a Aixis... is it much beter

and, i have no experience, i may build a red burner before trying this but i am buying the blu-ray diode atm...

thanks in advance...
if its sku.5914 the you should be fine

jayrob

caleb said:
can someone help me build a blu-ray laser with the 803T GB diode.

how many mW will i get?

thanks in advance...

A Leadlight is a very tight fit. Not a first build host! But if you are careful, you will succeed. The FlexDrive will need to be trimmed. It will also need to be insulated from touching the leadlight case. I just used a little piece of black electrical tape on the edges of the FlexDrive:
http://hacylon.case.edu/laser/lavadrive2/Micro_Flex_Drive_User_manual_ V2.pdf

You will need to learn how to set the current with a 'dummy load'. The best test load is rkcstr's:
http://rkcstr.googlepages.com/TestLoadInstructions.pdf
But if you want to make your own, check this post by rog8811:
http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1197651171#1
He is showing a DDL driver, but it works the same for a FlexDrive. Use 4 silicon diodes for a red diode, 6 for a blu-ray.

Set the current at 120mA's for longevity. This will give you about 100mW's or more using an AixiZ acrylic lens.

Also, the 803T diode connects differently than the red diodes: (read the comments under the diagram in this post)
http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1203129030/80#82
Jay

jayrob

According to DrLava's instruction sheet, you can damage the driver if you power it without a load. The link I provided above, is the instruction sheet in PDF format.
Jay

caleb

what about the rckstar driver, can i just plug 9V into it or do i need to spend more on a test load. what if i get a fixed driver.

jayrob

Yes, you can just connect a 9 volt supply to a pre-set driver. But it is ALWAYS better to check the current with a test load first. Otherwise you chance your diode!

If you are going to buy a rkcstr driver, his test loads are very reasonable. (cheap even!) After testing the current, make sure to short the driver leads together before connecting your LD.
Jay

@ Caleb, I have seen you post threads on the forum that you want to make a spiro, an XY scanner and now I see a blu ray.
With time, lots of reading and some hard graft you may end up having built all of the above.

For now I would suggest that you choose one project and concentrate on that, read up on it, buy the bits and get it built. The skills you learn on that project will make your next one easier....If you keep going from project to project you will never build anything.

Regards rog8811

caleb

well...

i got the stuff for the spiro but the shop didn't have any motors and a module i ordered hasnt come yet. so i have 'initiated' my spirograph...
just not construction

plus, i dont think il be building an X-Y scanner any time soon.........

then you should concentrate on your blu ray build check out one of jayrobs tutorials and that will pretty much answer all the questions you have!

spend some time reading. and then ask some more questions!

caleb

its just that there arent any clearly displayed blu-ray build tutorials here...

Ryo

Did you check out the "Tutorials, Help & Repairs" section? There's sticky that has a lot of info on building it.

Since you are plannning to build a burning laser.. get googles.
Little experience mixed in with high power lasers = danger

When you say dx module, do you mean you have a full laser module, not enclosed, without driver?

The Aixiz module is just a holder/host for a laser diode. Add on a heatsink to the Aixiz module, you'll help the life of your burner. Really.. check out the tutorials first.. this should explain a lot more.

rkcstr

You don't NEED a test load... any sufficient load will do, even if you just connect a ammeter (multimeter set to measure mA or A) across the output, just make sure you won't pop its fuses testing the higher currents. But, you should always connect a load when powering, though I don't THINK it will harm MY driver, though maybe others. Plus, you need something to be able to measure the output to test that it is correct (or so you can set the output current), which is why I made my test load, just to make the process simple.