Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DIY 488nm Blue laser

Whelp, I got this bright idea in chemistry today. I'm going to take my own hand at trying my own DDD (direct diode doubling) system out. I know how "easy" green is for more advanced laser builders :whistle: but how much harder can blue possibly be?

What kind of system you may be wondering, I *hope* to make 488nm. I can directly double a diode @ 976nm through a nonlinear crystal.

I understand I must shrink the beam down to about a micrometer size and pump that through the crystal, then back out through similar optics.

My questions are: Would the standard multimode 976nm diodes work for this process? What would be the best conversion crystal (BBO?)? Where can I get the right optics cheap? Am I an idiot for thinking of trying this myself?

Note, IF I can get this running on a desk, I will attempt a handheld. If I can make myself a handheld, I will attempt more. See where I'm going with this?

Last edited:

benmwv

I have though about this!

My idea was to use the doubling crystal from one of those broken 473nm lasers on ebay. I was thinking that the wavelengths should be close enough that the coatings would still work.

LBO is commonly used for doubling below the green range if needed... though it can also double into green.

BBO and BiBO are worth researching however. I do not believe they have the "atmospheric moisture absorbance factor" that LBO unfortunately exhibits.

LBO can be found on Chinese laser webstores, the other optics - I do not know where to being looking.

Trevor

If direct doubling a laser diode were as easy as passing it into a doubler and watching it shit out a stream of exotic colored photons, we'd have cheap access to prettymuch any visible wavelength.

Start with something easy, like 473nm...

Trevor

I've realigned my 473nm handheld while the parts were still... existant. not so sure where it all went.
Edit: I seemed to avoid the "difficult" comment. I'm fully aware of this, it's still a fun project to do when I have nothing else to do but burn things with my 2W 445nm

melles griot's optical diagram makes it look rediculously easy

Last edited:

rhd

ZRaffle:

Believe me when I say that I've spent a lot of time trying to figure out exactly this challenge - very specifically how to get 488 in a portable. I would love for you to succeed, but I think you really need to wrap your mind around the core challenges here. This is not just a mechanical issue of getting everything aligned properly. You need:

- A VERY narrow bandwidth 976nm laser source.
- That will stay LOCKED on that very narrow bandwidth of 976nm.
- That produces a very power-dense focused output.

And there are probably a number of other challenges that I haven't gotten to the stage of exploring, because until you cross the bridges outlined above, there's really no further progress to be made.

D

Deleted member 16589

I believe The Novolux protera Units are direct doubled using a NECSEL (Novalux-external-cavity surface-emitting-laser) diode and an SHG crystal. you could source a semi functioning one and realigning the crystals.
I read someone ether here or on PL a member had one that he tried realigning but made it worse. you may try to source a unit like that
SVCOMPUCYCLE may have a few left.

Trevor

I believe The Novolux protera Units are direct doubled using a NECSEL (Novalux-extended-cavity surface-emitting-laser) diode and an SHG crystal. you could source a semi functioning one and realigning the crystals.
I read someone ether here or on PL a member had one that he tried realigning but made it worse. you may try to source a unit like that
SVCOMPUCYCLE may have a few left.

Fixed that for you. ;)

Trevor

D

Deleted member 16589

sorry for the bump but have you had any luck with this. :wave:

I have had low funds ;)
But, when i have a bigger income for lasers I'm still planning on trying this.