Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DIY 473: Picture Heavy Build Thread!!!! Take a Look!!!!

IsaacT

Re: RPL-E 473: Picture Heavy Build Thread!!!! Take a Look!!!!

It is a wonderful wavelength. for all those interested, I have LPM'd this badboy. When cold, as I keep my room in the 60 degree area, this guy fires up at 40mW. After about 15-20 seconds it is lasing comfortably between 90 and 115mW. I am satisfied, you cannot expect a lot from a cold DPSS, and 40mW is certainly a reasonable thing to get.

Last edited:

IsaacT

I have changed the name to Frost. That is what I think of everytime I turn it on :)

SKeeZ

This truly is a beautiful laser. Is all of that heatsinking necessary with a 135mw diode?

Oh boy. LaserSam, search "DPSS laser" and learn the difference between this and diode lasers. there's also gas lasers.

I'd love to see that laser in person, 135mW of 473, wow. if you ever need some dough and want to part with it, be sure and come to me first. you can really tell from the pics that is brighter than other 473s

IsaacT

@LaserSam: the diode in this laser is actually about 2.5W, but you dont see 2.5W because 2.5W IR is being used to pump a crystal. The crystal is then made to lase at 946nm(this takes a lot of energy and not much results from the 2.5W in). That 946nm is then frequency doubled(wavelength halved) down to 473nm. More power is lost during that conversion.

@Shakenawake: at night, 100mW of 473 is a beautiful sight. If anyone is ever in ausrin and wants to meet up I would love to show it off. Yall can hit me up via PM if you want my phone number.

jayrob

Which host did you get? Before I decided on this one I was thinking about either getting his "Stubby" build or the one he did his 473 in.

He's getting a 'Hot' option set up in the exact same 26650 host as I used for my personal build:

lasever%20473%2012.jpg

He hasn't got back to me about whether or not he wants it polished like mine. (from Angelos)

wannaburnstuff, that is a really beautiful host/build for your 473nm module! :cool:

Last edited:

NKO29

i ALWAYS thermal glue my lasers together when finished. i know it makes it hard to dissemble but it REALLY helps with heat.

Great review. Thanks.
Next time I would love to have all the parts in hand so we can avoid all the little problems.
:thanks:

IsaacT

Thanks man! When do you think you will be ready to take on some more host requests? :D

I literally cannot get enough of your hosts. And I have a very special build planned that I think you will like. It will be cool AND easy(hopefully).

Last edited:

Thanks for all the kind words! Every time I pick this laser up I cant get enough of it.

@ will manners: the sanding will have a slight effect, but since it is lodged in there REALLY good. I mean really, that thing isn't going anywhere anytime soon. I think the duty cycle will be fine. The main thing I regret is scarring up such a high quality module.

By the way, I got ehgemus's permission to call this host the RPL-E, or RPL-EHGEMUS.

Thanks,
Isaac

PS: @Speedy78: I feel ya, this thing makes my PLE Pro look 1mW or so....which it might be lol. Still a good laser though.

PPS: Anybody have brand recommendations for 22650 LiIons?
Hi Isaac,
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery or so they say.
I have no problem with the building hosts that resemble butare not too identical to the RPL; however I do have a problem using my RPL brand name in the marketing of this host. I worked long and hard for many years building the RPL name and product and don't want anyone stealing it.
It's one thing to mention or use the RPL name to describe it's looks, but not to steal the name outright, even the cheap far east counterfeiters don't do this, they may copy/steal websites and content, but will at least make the effort to come up with a unique name for their product.

Please respect the RPL name/brand and use another name for this host.

Thanks
Jack O'Neill
Owner Optotronics

IsaacT

Sure thing man. I meant no disrespect. I will change it when I get home. :beer: thanks for making a great design!

Sure thing man. I meant no disrespect. I will change it when I get home. :beer: thanks for making a great design!

You're welcome, I'm glad you like the RPL design, to me each RPL is a work of art and I take great pride in each one.
Thank you for changing the name and your host looks very nice too.

Jack

IsaacT

I actually just bought an empty used RPL host off a member here that I am very excited to play around with. :D

I wonder if someday you'll sell us empty hosts Jack :whistle:

I know what wavelength I'd put in there... can't be anything common :shhh:

I actually just bought an empty used RPL host off a member here that I am very excited to play around with. :D

Now that's the saddest thing I've heard all day:( wonder why the owner didn't want to get it fixed?

Hi ZRaffleticket,
No, I don't have plans to just sell RPL hosts. I feel it would devalue the RPL brand as they would be easily mistaken for the RPL and the laser quality itself may not be to our standards, it opens up a big can of worms.

Which wavelength do you think would be most popular?
I've thought about red and yellow wavelengths, but will not build in the 445nm because to me they are too dangerous and one of the biggest threats to having all pointers outlawed and the the other reason is I as well as most the scientific community prefer true round beams without huge divergence. But to each his own.

Jack