Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DIY 1w-1.5w handheld 445nm questions

i am new to this site so i hope i am not breaking in forum rules in this post or annoyng any of you laser experts with my dumb questions lol. first off i would like to build my own 1-1.5w 445nm(blue) handheld laser, one i can attach to a airsoft gun. so far i have found this:
1W 445nm Blue Laser Diode with Lens | eBay
which is great because it is the right amout of watts. but i have no clue how to build a driver or module for it that i can safely add to my airsoft gun, and keep on for extended periods of time. im sure 1-1.5w have great visible beams, same thickness and all. as i plan on using this at night such as this guy here and if i did not upload that video correctly here is the ink to it:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sSEvmws8zs

Also i have a budget and getting good quality parts for less money would be helpful

any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Attachments

• 1w blue laser diode and lens.JPG
    1w blue laser diode and lens.JPG
    168.3 KB · Views: 2,550
Last edited by a moderator:

You can run it off one battery with proper heatsinking on a boost driver, whiich are readily available on the forums normally. This could give you about the range of power you are looking for.

You could also run a dual battery setup and use a cheaper but less efficient linear driver, or a more efficient buck driver which are slightly more efficient but harder to find and more expensive.

It all depends on your setup, and make sure you have proper protection and be well informed of just how much damage this much light can do.

I'm new to this I have no idea what I'm doing really, my question is really asking if someone will specifically tell me how to hook this laser diode up safely and efficiently, I just need to know parts and h well if someone has a diagram for a 1.5w blue laser build it soul be appreciated

Last edited:

Jayls5

You plan to use this at night... for what purpose? I assume this isn't going to be used for playing around with other people, correct?

You do realize that you're talking about a laser that can instantly blind people. It is seriously 300x the power of an average pointer. This is not a toy, and even people who know what they are doing have accidents with partially reflective surfaces at this brightness.

I don't think a 1w 445nm laser will be useful on an airsoft gun, haha.
You don't need to attach a blinding laser to a plastic toy, you won't even be able to look at the target, the target would be very bright without safety glasses. On a REAL gun, that's a different story. lol.

Okay well this airsoft gun is not plastic its all steel it the Umarex H&K 416 D 14.5rs, and what would be a good mW for this I do not really want to burn things, I just want a laser that has a visible beam for night play, and idc the color honestly green or blue, Ik red doesn't have a very good visible beam.

Anything over 5mW can damage people's eyes. The amount of visibility is based on the air conditions as well as power. Usually a 5mW is slightly visible at night, but anything more could damage people's eyes and shouldn't be used in this setting. as accidents could EASILY happen.
You trip on grass or a root and someone goes blind.

I sugest you buy a 75mw green laser pen, or a laser made for airsoft guns.

jimdt7

I can sell you a 1.8A boost driver, big heatsink and a battery for 60$ but you wont be able to mount your laser on a gun. You must buy a green laser pen, about 50-80mW ;)
Pm me if interested !

Jim

Jayls5

Okay well this airsoft gun is not plastic its all steel it the Umarex H&K 416 D 14.5rs, and what would be a good mW for this I do not really want to burn things, I just want a laser that has a visible beam for night play, and idc the color honestly green or blue, Ik red doesn't have a very good visible beam.

Your eye has way more green photoreceptors, so it appears brighter per mW. Grab a low mW green pointer.

You can get away with a visible beam and be a little less likely to have an accident with that color. Don't skimp out though... get a decent one with a IR filter on it.