Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

"DIY" 1.4W 445 Guidesman Monster (very picture heavy)

First off, let me just say that without DTR, this laser would not be how amazing it is in the pictures or videos.
It consists of an A140 diode, Aixiz 405 glass lens (eBay), flexdrive maxed at 1.5A, and a Guidesman host (gray). I bought the diode and flexdrive from DTR and the guidesman host from Mohrenberg. Both are very trustworthy members and I would be happy to have more transactions with them in the future.
The reason I put DIY in quotations in the title is because I don't really think this counts as me putting it together. All I did was mess it up. DTR did all the great work :)
I don't have any pictures of me assembling it (sorry). I bought the diode and flexdrive from DTR with the diode pressed into an Aixiz module and the flexdrive maxed at 1.5A. I also had him solder the diode to the flexdrive. When the host arrived a day later, all I did was solder the positive input of the flexdrive to the metal switch contact, wrap the flexdrive in electrical tape (mistake no. 1), and set the module in the heatsink and screwed the entire thing together. My dad thought the heatsink might be a little loose so he suggested I put a couple o-rings under it (mistake no. 2). There were more mistakes than that; such as not heatsinking the flexdrive, and not shortening the spacer in the pill so the flexdrive and wires wouldn't be crammed together.
Well when I first turned it on, I didn't think it was nearly powerful enough. It wasn't. Here is a link to the problem: http://www.laserpointerforums.com/f65/1-4w-laser-not-1-4w-60142.html I eventually tested how much current was being drawn from the battery to the driver: around .5A.
This is where DTR comes in again. He offered to see if he could fix it if I sent it to him. I was reluctant to have to wait again to have it but I sent it anyway. I sent it on a Tuesday and it was delivered Thursday. That same night, he took it apart, shortened the spacer in the pill, heatsinked the driver to the heatsink, glued the spacer back in, removed the o-rings I put in it, took it apart to test to make sure the diode and driver were fine, put it all back together, LPM'ed it, and mailed it back out again. Here are his LPM results during a 3 minute test run:
Output.jpg

I received it in the mail on Saturday that very same week! Any member on here can completely trust him. I will definitely do business with him again in the future as I have never experienced that level of customer service from anyone or any company before.
Now for the fun stuff: the pictures. All of my pictures are on Photobucket and Flickr (almost all on Flickr: I ran over my limit so I should be uploading more within a week). You can find the links to those albums in my signature. The best pictures will be posted below:
First, the host.
P1000669.jpg

P1000673.jpg

P1000675.jpg

P1000679.jpg

P1000681.jpg

P1000683.jpg

P1000685.jpg

Now for the best part of this thread; the BEAMSHOTS :D NOTE: The beam in the pictures is brighter than it actually looks to your eyes. The beamshot videos are more accurate in terms of brightness and color. Sometimes the long shutter can make the beam look more like 473nm :D
I may update this post in the spring or summer when I can get some pictures of it in fog :)

P1000691.jpg

B&W beamshot
P1000694.jpg

Sepia beamshot
P1000695.jpg

Negative beamshot
P1000692-1.jpg

And outdoors: no smoke, fog or clouds. Just a clear, cold, winter night. Sorry about all the splash.

15 sec shutter.
P1000699.jpg

another 15 sec shutter.
P1000700.jpg

normal settings with forced flash off.
P1000702.jpg

The rest of these beamshots have 15 second shutter speeds unless otherwise stated. Taken with no fog or smoke. It is cloudy because of the winter storm that is just getting here. Hopefully no school a few days this week :)
P1000705.jpg

30 second shutter
P1000704.jpg

60 second shutter
P1000706.jpg

P1000707.jpg

P1000708.jpg

P1000709.jpg

P1000710.jpg

P1000711.jpg

Here is a link to my youtube beamshot video: YouTube - 1.4W 445nm Blue Laser MONSTER
and a better one!
YouTube - 1.4W 445nm Blue Laser Monster Beamshot Video 2 1080p
I also have to work on getting some burning videos but it's more difficult to get those because I have to be home alone or I'll get in trouble... Or I have to go outside and it's cold out there lol :whistle:

Last edited:

Sometimes i wonder how many of my hosts are floating around the world.....

Edit: amazing picture of the beam into the sky.

jakeGT

well i would sure hope that none are " floating" anywhere, that would be just plain misuse, unless you water proofed them?

David, I read about the problems you were having with this specific laser, and I am sorry that had to
happen. But in the end it is a learning experience, and of course it all worked out due to DTR's hard work.

Good laser, great build!!!

+1 rep for a good post and giving credit where it is due.

David, I read about the problems you were having with this specific laser, and I am sorry that had to
happen. But in the end it is a learning experience, and of course it all worked out due to DTR's hard work.

Good laser, great build!!!

+1 rep for a good post and giving credit where it is due.

Glad you got it sorted, looks awesome, puts my 445 to shame. the last shot is amazing :drool: the shadows that beast is creating.. like someone's turned on a blue sun.

Glad you got it sorted, looks awesome, puts my 445 to shame. the last shot is amazing :drool: the shadows that beast is creating.. like someone's turned on a blue sun.

Well, to be fair, there is a lot of splash. Its not like extra dots around the main one from dust, more of just blue light around the main dot. Also, that last picture was taken about a foot in front of the surface that the dot was hitting. The camera's shutter was also open 15 seconds so the shadows aren't that big in person.

Also, if anyone wants some burning videos I will try to post some tonight. I'll try to post some tonight anyway even if people don't care ;) lol.

Well, to be fair, there is a lot of splash. Its not like extra dots around the main one from dust, more of just blue light around the main dot. Also, that last picture was taken about a foot in front of the surface that the dot was hitting. The camera's shutter was also open 15 seconds so the shadows aren't that big in person.

Also, if anyone wants some burning videos I will try to post some tonight. I'll try to post some tonight anyway even if people don't care ;) lol.

I'm still jealous lol yours puts out near double what mine does. DTR and Mohrenberg you should go into business together.
I'd like to see it burning through a row of CD cases, lighting candles and paper if possible.

This splash you are talking about is in all my lasers as well. You cant complain about these diodes' power for their price ;) That beam, oh that beam is what kept me in the laser hobby :) Glad to see your laser works now bud :wave:

jakeGT

what camera you use that has 60 second exposure? mine only has 8 second exposure :(

EDIT: Sorry I haven't uploaded any new videos: I plan to very soon. My computer died (thankfully the hard drive was fine) so I bought a new laptop Wednesday and I have been setting it up. I just got my video-editing software installed and I will be up and running with everything.... probably tomorrow.

I'm still jealous lol yours puts out near double what mine does. DTR and Mohrenberg you should go into business together.
I'd like to see it burning through a row of CD cases, lighting candles and paper if possible.

I'll work on it. I'm kinda busy currently but I get to it as soon as I can.

This splash you are talking about is in all my lasers as well. You cant complain about these diodes' power for their price ;) That beam, oh that beam is what kept me in the laser hobby :) Glad to see your laser works now bud :wave:

I know, the power makes up for the splash.

what camera you use that has 60 second exposure? mine only has 8 second exposure :(

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FP2

Last edited:
Cool :thanks: 32 seconds to burn through those cases. knew it would do it, just wanted to see it.

Cool :thanks: 32 seconds to burn through those cases. knew it would do it, just wanted to see it.

Yeah, it was focused to infinity (or the closest I could get to infinity). It goes through one case in about 3 seconds when focused. :evil: I love the matches though; it's crazy how fast they light.

Yeah, it was focused to infinity (or the closest I could get to infinity). It goes through one case in about 3 seconds when focused. :evil: I love the matches though; it's crazy how fast they light.

It wasn't even focused?! didn't notice that, just assumed it was.. damn that's even more impressive then. I'd try and see just how far it will light a match from seeing as you have a tripod.