Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Dirty diode?

So I think my lens got dirty from some smoke or something, I saw a thread saying makeup brushes for women worked good as a lens cleaner, and I wiped off my focus lens. That didn't work, so I for some reason thought it was the diode, so I gave that a wipe too. Now it just looks weird.

This is the "dot" without the focus lens on:
http://i.imgur.com/N2LZOtt.jpg

And this is with the focus lens on (which I think is also dirty):
http://i.imgur.com/5D0VQkm.jpg

There's less "bleed" in reality, my camera just picks it up weird.
I bought a lenspen and a compressed air thingy on Amazon, but I just want to make sure that they're just dirty and I'll be able to clean them.

Last edited:
Reactions: ARG

ARG

Your diode window does appear to be dirty based on the output. The only way I know to fix this is a de-can or remove the window. I have never had much success cleaning them. I know other have though, so hopefully they can advise you on a cleaning solution. :beer:

Your diode window does appear to be dirty based on the output. The only way I know to fix this is a de-can or remove the window. I have never had much success cleaning them. I know other have though, so hopefully they can advise you on a cleaning solution. :beer:

1. I have no idea how to de-can
2. I have no idea how to remove the window
Oh well, I guess this is a learning experience xD
Link to some tutorials?

ARG

1. It's a complicated process. There are decanner tools you can buy, but they are costly. You can send it off to a vet who had one and they might do it free of charge. It would also involve the removal of the diode from the module. The DIY way to do this is to use a dremel, very carefully.
2. I've only ever removed the window if it was already loose, with some SMD tweezers, if it is not loose it requires de canning.

So far as I know there is not a tutorial on de canning because of the difficulty involved and how easy it is to kill a diode with a slip of the finger.

Cleaning it would be the best way (if it can be done).
Whenever I get artifacts on my diodes I just leave it as is, when I try to improve the output of a diode it usually ends in tragedy.
From what I can see in the picture yours isn't do bad, my solution would be to leave it as is, but if someone else can provide careful cleaning information you can see if that helps improve your output.

Last edited:
Can't answer that since I've never tried, but my gut is telling not with the q tip.

I went ahead and did it with the q tip anyway. It actually made a HUGE improvement :D

I'll post pics in a sec once it dries or whatever.

I'll give it a blow with the compressed air when I get that too, but for now it's looking pretty great

That's looking much better!

So I'm pretty much back where I started. Extremely dirty lense and clean diode XD
Any tips on cleaning lenses without compressed air or lensepens? :p
I'd like to get a headstart because my teacher wants to look at it tomorrow.

DTR

You can remove the lens from the barrel pretty easy and clean it.;)

You can remove the lens from the barrel pretty easy and clean it.;)

I have no idea how to do that though. This is my first non-pen laser, and all I've ever done with my pen lasers is pot mod them.

You guys keep giving me all these things to try but no links to how to do them xD

ARG

There should be some kind of a nut, that you can unscrew to pop out the lens. Make sure you place the lens on some lens paper or microfibre cloth so it doesn't get scratched.