Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Direct Press Diode

Hey LPF,

I ordered Yobresal's Blue ICE JAD kit, and it comes with a "direct press heatsink" does this mean that I just put my bare m140 diode into it using a rag covered vice? or do I need to be very careful and do it some other way?
I'm looking very forward to assembling this kit.

Yes a direct press heatsink is one that does not use a module, you will need to press the diode directly into the heatsink. Assuming you've pressed diodes properly before using a rag covered vice, this method would be no different except you're pressing into a heatsink instead of a module

:beer:

Last edited:
I have never pressed a diode into a module or Heatsink. This is my first DIY laser. Any tips for pressing the diode into the Heatsink? Does it need to be flush?

I would suggest getting a diode press because it's simple to use & you can be sure you press the diode completely straight. I'm sure someone else will chime in on a few other ways to do this but I'm sorry I can't suggest any.

You also want to press your diode slightly past flush like this

010-2.jpg

If the opening in the heatsink is larger than 10.5mm in diameter then a diode press should work because it would be thin enough to slide in there and mount the diode. You could use a vice or pliers (I use a clamp) to press it. Otherwise no because it's made for pressing diodes into modules

Last edited: