Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Diode Troubleshootin' ... and other miscellaneous things

Well, once again with my amateur skills, I managed to get everything right until the wires twisted and shorted itself out. Shoulda used heatshrink wrap. Everything right until the last part. Since the short happened AFTER the driver, should I expect any damage? And how can I ensure myself that a diode is dead completely?

DTR

Shorting between the driver and diode could kill both, one or neither. The best thing to do would be to go back to scratch and test the driver on a test load. If it works fine then short your leads and reconnect the diode. Power it up and if you have light you are good. If the driver does not test good then you can get another one and set it up, short the output leads and connect that one to your diode. Either way if you have a good driver and you still get nothing you may need a new diode.:yh:

Thanks for the rather rapid response DTR. This diode was ONE of your diodes you shipped out recently. Anyways, what is the resistance on a functioning 445 M140 diode ?

Things

Probably be better to check whether it still acts as a diode rather than resistance, since well, that's what they are.

Also, you may have spared your diode depending on a few things.

If your driver DOESN'T have a capacitor on it's output, and doesn't ramp up the current if the load disconnects, then the diode should still be fine.

If the driver does have a capacitor, and does ramp up the current, but it was shorted the whole time, then your diode should also be OK.

Should just be a case of trying the diode and driver out, however I would say your diode would be fine as long as it stayed shorted the whole time it was turned on.

I used a boostdrive from lava. It shorted when I didnt know the wires got twisted when I screwed the upper module of a C6 flashlight... turned it on and a 2 sec. blast of blue appeared, but died almost immediately...