Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Diode Question - Blu Ray Power Rock

6 Months Ago, I ordered a O-like Blu Ray Power Rock 400mW Focus Laser. When I first received the laser, I expected it to burn basic things such as Paper with Black Dots, Matches, and to be able to Pop Balloons. Well, sadly... It did not meet my expectations. Why didn't I send it back? It took 2 Months to receive the laser from Japan/Europe, so I didn't want to do that all over again. I have focused the Laser until the dot was as Solid and Bright as can be, but there is still no luck. I have even tried using a friends glasses, to see if I could some how enhance the focus of the beam. After using the glasses, all it left on what was "Black Electric Tape", was a tiny dent in the Tape. Over the past 6 Months, I have been trying to see what is wrong with the Laser. I cant take the laser apart, but I can examine the diode. The lens inside the diode seems to have tiny shard of metal inside, kinda blocking half of the lens off. I personally do not know what this is, but I was hoping someone who knows a lot about Laser Diodes could tell me! Help would be highly appreciated. :thanks:

ARG

Could you take a picture of the unfocused output? That would greatly help to see if there is a problem.

I think what ARGLaser was asking for was the unfocused beam hitting a wall from some distance so we can see what the diode is actually outputting. It could be outputting in a non TEM00 mode or some other optical problem which can be easier to see what the dot is made much larger. If there's a discernible defect in the dot then you may have no other option but to return/replace it.

I think what ARGLaser was asking for was the unfocused beam hitting a wall from some distance so we can see what the diode is actually outputting. It could be outputting in a non TEM00 mode or some other optical problem which can be easier to see what the dot is made much larger. If there's a discernible defect in the dot then you may have no other option but to return/replace it.

Obviously he can't return it if it's been in his possession 6 months.

I see that picture there is the small piece of metal you were talking about, have you tried to do anything with, E.G. move it somehow. Then again that may not be a good thing to do because if not careful you would scratch the actual lens.

That must be normal. I have two of these from o-like. They must use some cheap diodes because the laser I got from them did not work. Then I got them to send another module so I could switch it out. And both of the diode look just like yours. The one they sent me only lasted 5 days , of light use.

I see that picture there is the small piece of metal you were talking about, have you tried to do anything with, E.G. move it somehow. Then again that may not be a good thing to do because if not careful you would scratch the actual lens.

What are you talking about?

IMG_4621.jpg

That small piece of metal IS the diode

DO NOT even try to touch or "remove" that.

Last edited:

Cel

On the 445nm that I have, there is that metal part too... Isn't it crucial? It is inside the diode (inside the lens of the diode)...
405nm also have that... but I don't know about others.

I haven't ever purchased a 405 from o-like, but both of my greens have been up to power (400mW and 500mW)

The greens are fairly cheap, and decent. A bit fat on the beam and divergence isn't great, but they are metering at their ratings. Odd...