Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Diode Mounts - No Press Fit?

Arcahn

Have you guys seen these? They look perfect for mounting on just about anything. I'm just curious about the "no press fit needed" part. Anyone have any experience with them? :thanks:
Link
125d38c1cea6469a9983067cf_thumb.jpg

c9b069eec4e6436eaa889bd9d_thumb.jpg

5c02ffa525b8486d93cfc1616_thumb.jpg

bd0cd39e4a984d199eb3fd14e_thumb.jpg

28598a3f30df48f98aac60ed5_thumb.jpg

gozert

It says that the diodes will be secured in place with a back cover plate that can be tightened with small screws. It looks quite nice but making a heatsink for that will be much harder than making one for an aixiz module.

Arcahn

It says that the diodes will be secured in place with a back cover plate that can be tightened with small screws. It looks quite nice but making a heatsink for that will be much harder than making one for an aixiz module.
I wondered about that. Would probably be ok for shorter duty cycle/low power purposes. I don't see any links on there to a corresponding heat sink for that particular type of mount. Odd. Of course it could to a certain degree act as a heat sink in and of itself. I don't have a good grasp on a lot of this yet but they do mention heat dissipation being pretty good on these units. Could just be a seller's tactic to encourage buys. But that is a lot of material in contact with the diode.

Last edited:
Those are really tiny, 12x13x15.5mm, they would need heat sinking except for under 5mW diodes, I don't see any use for them.

Alan

diachi

I wondered about that. Would probably be ok for shorter duty cycle/low power purposes. I don't see any links on there to a corresponding heat sink for that particular type of mount. Odd. Of course it could to a certain degree act as a heat sink in and of itself. I don't have a good grasp on a lot of this yet but they do mention heat dissipation being pretty good on these units. Could just be a seller's tactic to encourage buys. But that is a lot of material in contact with the diode.

They are designed to be bolted onto an aluminum plate, which would then probably be bolted onto another aluminum plate.

People have been using this type of mount in custom lab modules for ages - in fact, my eight (Or is it 6?) diode red uses similar mounts - although they are made from brass in that unit. Not much use in a pointer, heatsinking would be a problem there as Gozert said.

Edit: See here for an example: http://imgur.com/Sph8lf9 - Credit to Buffo over at PL for that image.

Last edited:

Arcahn

They are designed to be bolted onto an aluminum plate, which would then probably be bolted onto another aluminum plate.

People have been using this type of mount in custom lab modules for ages - in fact, my eight (Or is it 6?) diode red uses similar mounts - although they are made from brass in that unit. Not much use in a pointer, heatsinking would be a problem there as Gozert said.

Edit: See here for an example: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet - Credit to Buffo over at PL for that image.

Thanks for the info! I figured something like these had been around for awhile but they were new to me. They seem pretty handy for the mounting options they give.