Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Diode module spring?

I use an external spring, they seem to keep the lens tighter than an internal spring. Some people prefer Teflon tape over a spring, but you need one or the other or usually the lens will be too loose.

Alan

Yeah I use teflon like Pi R mentioned. I don't have any external springs but I stay away from internal springs because of particles that might come off from the spring. Also a fear of a piece of metal scratching the diode window and lens... not sure if that can happen but don't want to risk it :D

Oh nice I get it. I just put some teflon tape on my lens threads and I must say it is much better. Thanks. I would +rep you again but can't.:crackup:

Oh nice I get it. I just put some teflon tape on my lens threads and I must say it is much better. Thanks. I would +rep you again but can't.:crackup:

Ah don't worry about it :p The only thing I've noticed with using teflon is that the lens will slightly defocus over time. Maybe it's because teflon is stretchy and reshapes after twisting it?

Last edited:
I used springs in an array of 445nm diodes, 16 of them total, all in parallel, and some of the beams were way off from parallel because springs allow the lens assembly to be a bit loose in the holder and the beams can then point off to one side or another, although slight, when you have more than one beam you can see them diverge apart quite a bit, far from parallel. Teflon tape will tighten the lens holder up so it can't wiggle around, even if very slight. For that reason, I think it is better but I haven't used Teflon long enough to see it slightly defocus over time yet.