Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

diode extraction from 803T - howMuchHeatCanItTake?

Had to cram the subject in, I managed to get the diode out after.. gasp.. 1 hour of work

was my first time.. but turns out having 'helping hands' really would have helped as i do need a third hand.. one to hold the diode assembley and clasp it firmly by its heatsink, one hand to apply solder, then i keep the soldering iron on it as it glops and then another hand with tweezers to pull the PCB off the diode. I think i nuked the diode.. it was so hot .. i could tell.. its pretty much toast i bet but ill pray for a miracle.. soldering braid didnt help at all.. i suck at soldering my tips all dirty now too. need to get another one unless you guys know how to clean it

so yeah how much heat can these things take? i personally think i nuked it but if anyone thinks they can take >200F without frying out then i might be in luck

daguin

Re: diode extraction from 803T - howMuchHeatCanItT

kinesis said:
Had to cram the subject in, I managed to get the diode out after.. gasp.. 1 hour of work

was my first time.. but turns out having 'helping hands' really would have helped as i do need a third hand.. one to hold the diode assembley and clasp it firmly by its heatsink, one hand to apply solder, then i keep the soldering iron on it as it glops and then another hand with tweezers to pull the PCB off the diode. I think i nuked the diode.. it was so hot .. i could tell.. its pretty much toast i bet but ill pray for a miracle.. soldering braid didnt help at all.. i suck at soldering my tips all dirty now too. need to get another one unless you guys know how to clean it

so yeah how much heat can these things take? i personally think i nuked it but if anyone thinks they can take >200F without frying out then i might be in luck

The recommendation from the manufacturers is no more than 3 seconds heat on the pin. I don't remember the temperature limit recommended off hand. Now they will survive more than that, but that is the goal.

Peace,
dave

hard to say really but it's not out of the question for it to still work

The good news is they can take a *LOT* more heat than the PS-3 diodes, like you i found out the hard way after the pins pcb shorted after the axiz press fit. It got hot enough to melt sn-63/37 ON THE DIODE case :-/

I made sure not to put that one it in anything mission critical. It's currently at home in a laser widow type machine running at about 40mW.

Oh the best way to tack these down is a small piece of double sticky foam tape to hold the axiz head piece/resisters/etc in place during the soldering. The "helping hands" are too slow and awkward with things this small IMHO.

how can i clean the fingerprint covered diode window with a microfiber cloth without static shocking it?

I usually use isopropyl alcohol on a q-tip. Just be gentle! You may have to clean it a few times before its perfectly 'clear' when you turn it on.

If it's finger prints, then q-tip with windex followed by distilled water followed by alcohol rinse, followed by duster spray. Cleans perfect every time :)