Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DinoDirect Firedragon III - 300 mW (Updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a preamble, I have to say that this "lost" laser arrived today after just over 2 months in transit. I also received an email this PM from the PO stating that the package has not been delivered. Go Figure.
In all honesty, Dino's shipping information was correct from the start. I did have a problem with their communications at first but that too is now corrected and I stand corrected.
They have shipped a replacement laser which I will return to them at my cost.............. That said .... the review starts.

The laser was double boxed and very well packaged. No photos on this since we all know what a box looks like :D . The bubble wrap arount the laser has a 300 mW sticker attached likely from the "certification" process which they advertise. Included is the laser, 18650 TrustFire cell, charger and two keys for the tail lockout switch. No instructions are included but if you are at the level to get a IIIB laser, you know the cell polarity for a greenie

Features: The laser body is well finished and machining (threads) are clean and smooth. It has this tail lock, lighted power switch and beam shutter. The power switch lights up blue when the key switch is on and turns red when the beam is activated. The body is not tapped for tripod mount.

4549-dino1.jpg

The label indicates a Class IIIB laser product. This label also acts as a warranty sticker on the main head threads.

4550-dino2.jpg

The shutter head is easily removed to expose the focusing lens. It appears similar to some other lasers which have focusing ability using a pin style spanner wrench. I have not tried this --- yet.

4551-dino3.jpg

I powered the laser with a protected UltraFire 18650 cell which I had charged. I waited for the laser to reach room Temp (~19 Deg C). The laser exceeded rated power for 140 Seconds which I consider good for a portable green at this power. I will run more tests as time permits. Sometimes cleaning connections on this style housing improves performance.
The laser draws 1.97 Amps from a fully charged cell.

4552-dino4.jpg

The pen was a little faint on this run but I think you will be able to see the graph.

Overall --- this laser meets my expectations. It's way too cold and too much snow outside to make a divergence test. That focus ring does turn and function. It seems a little loose but easily tightened.

HMike

Last edited:

Re: DinoDirect Firedragon III - 300 mW

Nice graph. Can you do a test for IR?

I'll try to calibrate my filter and do that. I forgot about IR
Thanks ---
HMike

Here's an unusual observation about this laser. I removed the front focus lens and the beam at ~4 feet is rectangular and dances around like it's mode hopping.....
I've never observed this.
However, a larger output lens seems to work better and get more power. I need to play with this more.
HMike

Last edited:

How is this laser compared to the O-like 400mW?

Midieval ---- If I ever get an O-like 400, I would be glad to compare.

HMike

Midieval ----

You should not remind an old fart of his toys :tsk::tsk: !!!
I forgot about it and found it to still match that graph when warmed up.
The Dino was less expensive and I believe that I can get more power with newer optics. However, I got this because of the housing and its + ground driver for a 638 nM project.
The Dino needs to be warm too..... Winter here is a b1tch.
For overall feel at this power, I do like Susie's silver !!!

HMike

wbp

Here's an unusual observation about this laser. I removed the front focus lens and the beam at ~4 feet is rectangular and dances around like it's mode hopping..... I've never observed this.

Nice report. I had a similar DD Firedragon, same case, etc. It was sold as 200 mw "Certified Power Guaranteed". I measured over 430 mw peak and average 370 mw with very little IR. It also mode hopped like crazy - made for a very fat beam.

William

Droid

The dino is cheaper? The o-like is only $200. I can only find this laser on dinodirect for $400. Is it a different one? You should always put a link to the product being reviewed so those interested can find it easy if they want to buy one.

Sounds like a nice laser though. Thanks for the review.

ped

Here's an unusual observation about this laser. I removed the front focus lens and the beam at ~4 feet is rectangular and dances around like it's mode hopping.....
I've never observed this.
However, a larger output lens seems to work better and get more power. I need to play with this more.
HMike

Have a nose at my review of essentially, the same laser Mike

http://laserpointerforums.com/f52/review-rayfoss-rf532-350mw-fgb-pic-heavy-55931.html

a Mike good to see you finally got it!

mine seems to "dance" to when the focus lens is removed (itslike watching microbes moving around) and also rectangular raw output, also when battery drops below 3,85V the power seems te drop with it :thinking:

Re: DinoDirect Firedragon III - 300 mW (Updated)

This is an update on my Dino Laser event......

I received my replacement 300 mW laser after only ~8 shipping days. They really moved to get this out. Communications with their email can still be a language barrier problem.

I posted above my graph of unit 1. It looks good for power but seems to have a fat beam. This appears to be lens allignment problems but still meets spec.

Unit 2 is a bit different in that the front focus disc is glued in position with a "dot" of adhesive. It seems to have a smaller projected spot. Power output is also a little different for this 300 mW laser...........

4599-dino5.jpg

I have roughly repeated this trace 3 times. This is the replacement laser sent to me because of delayed shippment of Unit 1.

As for Unit 1, I have half of the machining done for the focus lens and a new Edmond Vis0 PCX in the mail which I think will bring Unit 1 up to near Unit 2.

HMike

Question -- Do sudden shifts in power like this appear to be electrical connection related? I've seen this before on S-ky lasers and some others.

Last edited:
Wow, that is...impressive. From what I've read and experienced, with higher power DPSS portables, the power shifts are common as the crystals expand from the heat, causing the fluctuations. If it were electrical connections, I think it would be more of a consistent power problem instead of an up and down fluctuation as large as you're experiencing.

wow peak of 650mw+ O_O

wish mine acted that way :p

the allignment of the lenses seems to be kinda crappy on these lasers when i hold the lens myself instead of in the host's head it jumped to 430mw +/- peak with occasional swings from 220 to 350 ( sorry i dont have graphs to show ), not the most stable green ive seen.....cant seem to get the beam thinner with the stock lens, the lens also looks dirty in some light, but i cant seem to get it clean...

I tend to agree but last night, Unit 1 showed tail cap heating. I cleaned stuff and it improved. High current and aluminum are always a problem with any portable I have.
HMike

@Rick --
I have done the same to get the beam cleaned up. I don't like their front lens either. My new assembly should correct that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.