Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

dino direct 1 watt blue laser--- saftey hazard????

i just bought my first blue laser and ive heard good and bad reviews, i read on another thread it was only 650mw not 1000mw like the ad says.

but i was wondering if i should buy laser glasses. are my eyes at risk of blue light?

im new to the world of lasers and im only 18, i need some guidance

mfo

i just bought my first blue laser and ive heard good and bad reviews, i read on another thread it was only 650mw not 1000mw like the ad says.

but i was wondering if i should buy laser glasses. are my eyes at risk of blue light?

So you chose this laser why?

And yes, get some glasses.

As was already said above, you NEED goggles. Comparing the difference in danger of a 1W laser vs a 600mW laser is sort of like comparing getting shot with a .357 or a .44 - either way you're dead, or in the best case sporting at least a very large blind spot for the rest of your life.

These would work well, and if you're in the US, you will have them before your laser: Eagle Pair® 190-540nm Standard Laser Safety Goggles

So you chose this laser why?

And yes, get some glasses.

I wanted a blue laser and it was only $100 with a coupon and it seemed like a good deal.

Also what type of glasses? Should I go with a cheap $7 pair or a better $35pair?

Don't know why you would want to go super cheap on goggles... the ones I pointed to above are not that much more...

But if you must save: RadiantShades for Blue and Green Lasers

There is a discount code somewhere on lpf, in deals section I think...

thank you, im only wordering because i dont have a lot to spend, and on dinodirect they have the glasses for like $7, but they dont have any specs on them like O.D.

joeyss

Don't trust those cheap ones. All you need to happen is a direct hit from a mirror unexpectedly. Even if they do cut the laser down to 5mw or less there's a very real chance of the dye instantly failing when hit by the laser.

The ones from Radiant are decent quality... the guys who run it are mods on this forum. They do batch and random tests, so these should hold up to reflections, and might hold up to a direct him. They are the absolute minimum amount of protection, but a heck of a lot more than cheapo mystery goggles.

Don't trust those cheap ones. All you need to happen is a direct hit from a mirror unexpectedly. Even if they do cut the laser down to 5mw or less there's a very real chance of the dye instantly failing when hit by the laser.

i wont, i take safety seriously and i know my eyes arent a place to cheap out on

joeyss

If you really want to see what can happen to you. Take an old crappy digital camera that you don't care if it gets ruined and shine a 50-100 mw laser on it and move it around the lens slowly for a few seconds. Now try and film or take a picture. You should see burn in on the lens. That can happen to you in less the 1/4 of a second if any laser over 5mw hits your eyes. Don't take chances.

The ones from Radiant are decent quality... the guys who run it are mods on this forum. They do batch and random tests, so these should hold up to reflections, and might hold up to a direct him. They are the absolute minimum amount of protection, but a heck of a lot more than cheapo mystery goggles.

Actually.... only one of the two guys is a Moderator on this Forum...

Jerry

what was the coupon code you used?!
is it still available??
i think you got a great deal!

on topic:
if you go skydiving, would you use the trusted, "guaranteed to work" parachute?
or go with the cheapest piece of crap because you want to "save money"

i forgot who i quoted but it stuck :)

Last edited: