Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Diffuse Beam Viewing: When is dangerous...

StIwY

Hi all,

Please, I would want some explanations about laser diffuse laser beam viewing of CLASS IIIB lasers.

CLASS IV is dangerous EVER i know.

What is the limit ( mW ) over which the eye begins to damage him?

For example shining  laser to the wall......

Reflexive surface like metals are too dangerous right ?

Regards

Re: Diffuse Beam Viewing

It depends on the power of the laser , the color of the surface, the duration, ambient light and your distance from the dot.

When I look shortly at the dot of my X85 on a white ceiling from a distance of 2 ft it's not a real problem.
But if keep looking at this from the same distance for a minute then it can be harmfull I think.

Also when you do this in complete darkness (dilated pupils) then its more dangerous then in daylight.

But I don't know if exact statistics for this exists.
Generally non-specular reflection of a Class 4 is harmfull, but from a 400mw Class3b it might be harmfull as well.

StIwY

Re: Diffuse Beam Viewing

solar00 said:
It depends on the power of the laser , the color of the surface, the duration, ambient light  and your distance from the dot.

When I look shortly at the dot of my X85 on a white ceiling from a distance of 2 ft it's not a real problem.
But if keep looking at this from the same distance for a minute then it can be harmfull I think.

Also when you do this in complete darkness (dilated pupils) then its more dangerous then in daylight.

But I don't know if exact statistics for this exists.
Generally non-specular reflection of a Class 4 is harmfull, but from a 400mw Class3b it might be harmfull as well.

Yes, depends on the colour of the wall etc......etc......

Watching the dot for MINUTES it's stupid for sure.

I intended even instead the unintentional reflexes of some second.

More or less.....the limit it's 300mW ? What do you think ?

Regards

Well I think just a short accidental reflection from a diffuse surface isn't that harmfull from a 300 or 400mw and maybe not even from the lower powered class VI lasers.

Safety regulations are usually stricter than necessary, (better safe than sorry i guess)
According to the same regulations a class II laser is harmfull if you suppress you eye reflex, but in reality looking at 1mw(directly) for a minute isn't causing permanent damage.

Read the safety section. There are tons of posts in there about this and other subjects. But basically, there is no completely safe way to view a class III or IV laser without safety goggles. You should wear goggles for your laser such that a direct hit would be attenuated to less than 5mW if you don't want to risk damaging your eyes. If you have the money for a 300mW green laser, then you can easily afford goggles that will keep your eyes safe.

From one point of view, they are your eyes. But the straw that causes extra scrutiny and laws regulating lasers in your country, or mine, will almost certainly come from someone getting hurt by a laser when they could have prevented it.

StIwY

pullbangdead said:
Read the safety section.  There are tons of posts in there about this and other subjects.  But basically, there is no completely safe way to view a class III or IV laser without safety goggles.  You should wear goggles for your laser such that a direct hit would be attenuated to less than 5mW if you don't want to risk damaging your eyes.  If you have the money for a 300mW green laser, then you can easily afford goggles that will keep your eyes safe.

From one point of view, they are your eyes.  But the straw that causes extra scrutiny and laws regulating lasers in your country, or mine, will almost certainly come from someone getting hurt by a laser when they could have prevented it.  

Thanks for your reply, but you've talked about accidental DIRECT hit to the eye........

I instead would to understand risks about diffuse beam.....

mega

Read here about the dangers of all classes of lasers.  You just need to copy the link.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_safety