Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Difference of Sun glasses, and Special ones

M

Mac

p1010560kw6.jpg

AND
p1010559ub2.jpg

Rhith

wow. big big BIG difference, maybe add a picture of it just shining on the wall too?
I still wouldn't want the dot through the sunglasses to hit me though...

S

SenKat

Those pics REALLY do show the importance of proper laser protective glasses - it is a shame that there will still be many that go the bargain route, and get the cheapies and screw up their eyes :(

Rhith

I need some badly....
I'm just praying that I can somehow manage to scrounge up WB's from videos so I can get a pair for shipping price.

S

SenKat

LOL - I am setting up my new laptop, man - gotta hit the sack though - I'll be on lots tomorrow - waiting for deliveries :p

I have something I want all of you sunglasses users to see. (I apologize for the weird sunglasses, it was the cheapest thing I could find at our local thrift shop!)

Attachments

• sunglasses.AVI
    1,012.7 KB · Views: 47
S

SenKat

styropyro said:
I have something I want all of you sunglasses users to see. (I apologize for the weird sunglasses, it was the cheapest thing I could find at our local thrift shop!)

WHY did I not see this video until now ? THAT is AWESOME ! Thanks for sharing that !

G !

T

timelord

As I always say if you can afford a high powered laser for near the $300 mark then you can afford goggles too ::)

styropyro said:

Thank you. My first laugh of the day!

If i were to get a CORE from Wicked Lasers would it be smart to get the Glasses/Goggles aswell or is it unnecessary because it isn't over 5mW?

Bocaj1994 said:
If i were to get a CORE from Wicked Lasers would it be smart to get the Glasses/Goggles aswell or is it unnecessary because it isn't over 5mW?

Nah, 5mW is safe unless you deliberately go and shine it in your eyes for long periods.

Here's my chart:

5mW and less you don't need goggles.
5mW to 30-50mW you don't really need goggles but you have to be VERY careful with the lasers.
50mW and above, get goggles.

suiraM

I hope you're referring to red ones specifically here?

At 5mW, a green can do damage. It's just not likely[i/i] to, if the exposure is brief.

Would be good to have some statistics on this sort of stuff, as the rules of thumb tend to exaggerate or ignore the risk (kind of like how people freak about oral and HIV, when the chance is 1 in 10.000 with an infected partner; relevant at an epidemological level, but perhaps acceptable risk on the personal level, on par with forgetting your seatbelt once- playing the high-stakes lottery, but with good odds). There's some detailed data out there, but it tends to be too complicated to break down to anything useful, and probably exceeds the patience and skill of most who would benefit from simpler statistics.

A middle ground could save time and eyeballs at the same time.

For me, I prefer to stick to eye safe reds or high powered lasers; the eye safe ones are an inconvenience for my uses, and the high powered ones give me that same feeling as a firearm does: I don't have a margin for error here, so I won't take any chances, regardless. With the ones in the middle, it's too easy to be lazy or otherwise enticed into acting in a manner that I wouldn't do if the odds were known. That feeling is an important help to me, at least; YMMV. I know my flaws, and mid powered greenies hit those spot on.