Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Difference between "True" and regular DX laers?

Ok.. this question(actually why I am sking it) may make me sound like a dork, but I am still a newbie..lol.

To put it simply, what makes a DX laser "True"? As far as I can see, they are ALL NewWish lasers, at least the 3 that I have opened.

The reason I ask is that my my 50mw and 5mw both have the same driver(as I learned in my 5 vs 50 thread). Now me, being a newbie, thought that my brand new 150mw would have a pot, and was going to turn it up.. NO pot. It seems to have the same driver as pictured on the DX200 description at the DX site. I wish I had known this before I removed and scratched the case of my nice new laser.

By the way, this 150mw is rock solid, different costruction and all. It is stable for the max of 30 secs or so that I light it up at a time, even on lithiums. Nice and qiute bright, and burns as expected(on lithiums it started to light a cigarette on a 30 second run.) The beam divergence is much better than the 5 and 50, also. I dont know about IR, but am using common sense with it, so all is well.

Now I DID get my Newwish 150 from Kaidomain ($91US), but it's the same brand as the DX lasers, I am almost sure of that.

So what determines them to be "True" lasers? Obviously the output, but what else?

Razako

Re: Difference between "True" and regular DX laers

I have heard that the true lasers are more likely to have an IR filter.

Ace82

Re: Difference between "True" and regular DX laers

DX, DX, DX.... :mad:

Well, the DX 100 - 200 are the same laser. Same chip, same diode, same optics. The only thing I think makes them different (other then the slight cost difference) is that some just happen to work out better, as they come from the factory, a 200 might peak at 180-210mW to a 150 that might peak at 125-179mw, and the 100 @ 90-124mW. I don't know for SURE but with my experiences with DX and after having dissected most of my lasers I bought from them (with the value to easily buy a RPL!) and by reading their disclaimers, and I even read it somewhere, but it is the most logical explanation. One of my DX 5's could have sold for a 30, in comparison to a real 5mW is about twice as bright and pops ballons. Btw, don't ever mess with the pot. It isn't worth it - hands down.