Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Difference between Red laser, Infrared laser, High-energy laser?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know what you mean by high-energy laser, but the difference between an infrared laser and a red laser is that an infrared laser is invisible to the human eye while red is visible.
Infrared lasers at 808nm can be seen but the dot is very dim.

othcs.gif

Are you asking which wavelength will have better absorbtion and provide better burning?
If so, look into co2 lasers, they have a really long wavelength which can cut into even
the most reflective surfaces.

Are you asking which wavelength will have better absorbtion and provide better burning?
If so, look into co2 lasers, they have a really long wavelength which can cut into even
the most reflective surfaces.

Co2 lasers cut through everything because they have great output powers, not because their waves are absorbed the most.
It's the shorter waves that get absorbed the most, that's why Blu-ray can burn white paper at less than 100mW compared to red which can't even at 250mW.
I have a 610mW IR which can't burn yellow wood, while my 240mW red can.

I have a 610mW IR which can't burn yellow wood, while my 240mW red can.

You just posted today your first laser, and it was a 100mW IR. Where did these others come from?

http://laserpointerforums.com/f40/my-first-laser-50174.html#post688799

Edit:
As for the red laser, that's going to be my next project. I just started with the IR to get into the laser building. This way if I did something wrong I wouldn't lose a red diode, but a IR one.

Last edited:
How do you like your IR laser?

I had one out of a old CD-RW and I loved this little thing, it was greater than 100mW and I found it burned like almost no other laser because of the absorption of the stuff I was burning.

My build:
I ran it off the drive from a DX green 50mW module at 250mA supplied from 2 AAA's. I but it in a small mint can and drilled a whole in the side were i could easily access the pot. It was very Small only about 2 in. long and .5 in. thick.

It burned great but it as awsome to show to people how they could barely see it [and yes i did turn the power down for this ;) ] Then you have them take out there phones and use the camera to look at the dot and it's super bright AMAZING! The ladies loved it.

Congrats on your first laser build and i recommend laser safety goggles.

Thanks,

Keith

Last edited:
How do you like your IR laser?

I had one out of a old CD-RW and I loved this little thing, it was greater than 100mW and I found it burned like almost no other laser because of the absorption of the stuff I was burning.

My build:
I ran it off the drive from a DX green 50mW module at 250mA supplied from 2 AAA's. I but it in a small mint can and drilled a whole in the side were i could easily access the pot. It was very Small only about 2 in. long and .5 in. thick.

It burned great but it as awsome to show to people how they could barely see it [and yes i did turn the power down for this ;) ] Then you have them take out there phones and use the camera to look at the dot and it's super bright AMAZING! The ladies loved it.

Congrats on your first laser build and i recommend laser safety goggles.

Thanks,

Keith

Thanks, I like my laser very much! It's power output should have been around 150mW, but I used a 8,2 ohm resistor instead of a 6 ohm one on my driver because I didn't have any 6 ohm resistors at the time I was building it.

I'm confused. What happened to this thread? Why does it say I'm the one who started it, because I didn't?

yeah I think this thread is over...:whistle:
He deleted his question so now reading this seems kinda random...
This should probably be closed...

Status
Not open for further replies.