Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Laser Pointer Store

DieselMarines New LOC build in unusual host

DieselMarines New 10/10/09 LOC build in unusual host

i had two broken sound lever meters from radio shack and to me it looked like the perfect host for a laser so i went with it. I gutted it and used a rckstr driver set to 400mA,

I put two switches one momentary switch
and a toggle switch to keep it on hands free,

The first one i built was a phr with a LM317 ddl style driver and i controlled the potentiometer with the knob from the sound lever meter nice build but i sold to a friend! i like this unusual host how do you guys feel about it?

Attachments

Last edited:

ColdStl

I like it! I'm always looking for different types of hosts to utilize, other than flashlights and making my own on my lathe. If you hadn't sold it to your friend I would have offered to buy it in a heartbeat.
Guess I'll be checking out radioshack here very soon!

I one I used is the old version, there is a new version out now but I still see the old version in radio shack sometimes thanx for the input here is the new one all digital!

Attachments

MarioMaster

Did you make that heatsink? Looks like a nice build.

You may also want to consider shrinking that image in your sig, it takes up a lot of space.

MarioMaster

A single post by you takes up a lot of space, keeping sigs small is just a sort of forum courtesy.

Nice build I like your use of ex electronic equipment and the sound meter is great, looks like some kind of phasor or space sidearm, kudos dude !

MarioMaster

I was just making a suggestion : \

You should hook up the dB meter to the switch and a resistor so it goes up when you turn it on - it could also work as a handy battery meter ;)

I was just making a suggestion : \

You should hook up the dB meter to the switch and a resistor so it goes up when you turn it on - it could also work as a handy battery meter ;)
I tried that but the dB meter pin would just go off the scale and stay there when i turned it on.

Do you know of anyway i might be able to get that done?

MarioMaster

You need a resistor of the appropriate value. The value depends on the meter movement, but is probably gonna be in the area of a few Kohms - you could try it with say a 100K pot and either keep the pot in the unit or measure the resistance of the pot at the right spot, then get a fixed resistor to replace it.

billg519

This is a very nice looking and unique build! It's nice to see the results of thinking outside of the box. Well done!

Benm

Its something different for sure... i doubt its a very effective solution, but at least its one i havent seen before :)