Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

dentist googles are safe??

chucho

I just bought 1w blue laser and i have no googles for that color. Looking on the internet i found that the googles i use to "fotopolimerizar" (cant find the word in english) look the same as the laser ones... This googles are used to protect your eyes of the bright blue light that is used to harden "composite" when you seal the hole left by tooth decay.

Any one knows if i can use them to protec me from the laser??. I now they will be better than nothing but will they be enought??

Sorry for my horrible english.
Hello to everyone from Spain.

If you care about ur eyes, buy proper safety glasses. If not why bother wearing anything?

chucho

If you care about ur eyes, buy proper safety glasses. If not why bother wearing anything?

Its easy... i care about my eyes if not i will not be asking here and as you say i would not bother wearing glasses. I dont like wasting my money if i allready have something that could work. And i love to discover and learn new things.

But im nearly sure after reading information on the internet that these googles will be safe. They are done to protect eyes from 400nm to 500 nm and they are CE controled. They have aswell 200 uv protection. To be honest im more convince using these than using china ones...:whistle:

The only thing that wories me is the OD number... i dont now it and i think is important before using them for lasers.

In my glasses i can read U EN166 FT CE IC and 2-1.7 U1 FT N CE
Anyone nows the meaning??

Asherz

Its easy... i care about my eyes if not i will not be asking here and as you say i would not bother wearing glasses. I dont like wasting my money if i allready have something that could work. And i love to discover and learn new things.

But im nearly sure after reading information on the internet that these googles will be safe. They are done to protect eyes from 400nm to 500 nm and they are CE controled. They have aswell 200 uv protection. To be honest im more convince using these than using china ones...:whistle:

The only thing that wories me is the OD number... i dont now it and i think is important before using them for lasers.

In my glasses i can read U EN166 FT CE IC and 2-1.7 U1 FT N CE
Anyone nows the meaning??

Dentists protective shields or goggles are designed to prevent against weak normally LED Blu-ray or UV light, NOT 1000mW 445nm light, do you have any idea how powerful 1W is for a laser? The fact that you're even questioning or considering the idea of using anything but purpose built safety goggles really makes me cringe that you own such a powerful laser.

Those goggles by dragonlasers maybe chinese, but the company is a trusted and reputable seller on the forum, and the goggles they sell are good quality protective glasses that are RATED for the correct WAVELENGTH and with an OD rating that can protect against the power of your laser.

In regards to your question about OD, it stands for optical density and of course it's of importance, the higher the optical density the longer the goggles can protect against the beam of light without it weakening and the laser passing through.

Too be honest people have said not to use those goggles you own, given perfectly valid reasons and suggested a good, relatively cheap alternative if you choose to disregard that advice it's your choice, but having your retina burned by a 445nm laser is incredibly painful, and you'll hear a popping noise when it does.

Do your self a favour and don't use your laser until you have correct goggles.

They have aswell 200 uv protection.

Completely irrelevant. Normal sunglasses have a UV rating, and my 445nm melts a hole in them.

Last edited:

chucho

Dentists protective shields or goggles are designed to prevent against weak normally LED Blu-ray or UV light, NOT 1000mW 445nm light, do you have any idea how powerful 1W is for a laser? The fact that you're even questioning or considering the idea of using anything but purpose built safety goggles really makes me cringe that you own such a powerful laser.

Those goggles by dragonlasers maybe chinese, but the company is a trusted and reputable seller on the forum, and the goggles they sell are good quality protective glasses that are RATED for the correct WAVELENGTH and with an OD rating that can protect against the power of your laser.

In regards to your question about OD, it stands for optical density and of course it's of importance, the higher the optical density the longer the goggles can protect against the beam of light without it weakening and the laser passing through.

Too be honest people have said not to use those goggles you own, given perfectly valid reasons and suggested a good, relatively cheap alternative if you choose to disregard that advice it's your choice, but having your retina burned by a 445nm laser is incredibly painful, and you'll hear a popping noise when it does.

Do your self a favour and don't use your laser until you have correct goggles.

Completely irrelevant. Normal sunglasses have a UV rating, and my 445nm melts a hole in them.

Thank you very much for your answer.:bowdown:

I asked because i dont now and want to learn. The wavelength as i said before is correct protects eyes from 400nm to 500 nm
The main problem is that i dont now the OD rating... What is the minimum OD i have to use to be safe using a 1w laser?
I have read on the internet that dentists light emite 800 mW so its not sow weak. The light you can use is halogen, led, xenon but aswell you can use argon laser.

Too be onest your the first one to give me perfectly valid reasons:crackup: before they only told me what i had to do not giving me an answer to my questions.

No wories im not going to use any googles until i now is going to be completly same for my eyes i need them for ever.:angel:

I would feel safe using proper laser protection glasses for 405nm doing UV curing as a dentist though :)

I'm almost wondering if it would be worthwhile for someone to test the OD rating on some pairs of these dental UV protection glasses, as they can be had for less.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Protective-...394?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a0f07f5fa
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Protective-...765?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a0dc699e5
http://cgi.ebay.com/Dental-Curing-L...350?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c593bc146
http://cgi.ebay.com/RED-GOGGLE-GLAS...535?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4159ca2e17

Would be interesting to know how well they block 1-2w of 445...I just don't have an LPM to test how much can get through.

*The links are for price reference, I would not recommend these as proper laser protection glasses as of now*

Last edited:
I've tested two of those goggles a while back, the OD at 445nm was below 2, and you'd need above 3 at least, preferably over 4.

Last edited:
That really doesn't say much though, because people have tested glasses intended for 445 at OD2 or below. I'm sure there's probably better and worse ones, just like with ones marketed for laser protection.

Last edited:

eexe

You would want orange goggles similar to eagle pair to test, I guess. But probably we won't gain a cheap access to them.

chucho

Thank you very much Lotus!!
I have several googles to use as a dentist one of them is similar to the 3rd link.

Its a pity i have not got an LPM to test them :cryyy:

Do you think using 2 googles will twice the OD of using one??

Thank you Bluefan for your answer could you specify what kind where there and if they had passed CE.

I personally wouldn't trust any glasses meant for dental curing against a laser, until they are tested by someone.

chucho

I personally wouldn't trust any glasses meant for dental curing against a laser, until they are tested by someone.

Me either thats why im asking... they only way i can test them is putting them on animal and shooting the laser to see if it went blind... only kidding:na: poor animal

Last edited: