Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Dented Flat Top AW 18650

Anyone ever dent in the flat top on an AW 18650?

I just pulled my three AW 3400mah flat tops out of my TN30 to charge them and all three of them the flat top positive end is dented in. Are these safe to use now?

I'm actually kind of disappointed because the metal for the flat top seems thin and weak.

NKO29

my most recent laptop pulls were Samsung cells. They last for ages at low currants but they cannot supply enough currant for my higher powered lasers... They should be safe as long as they dont short circuit with anything EG: the case of the battery or your host :)

Several of my LG cells have dented flat tops. It seems to be a cosmetic issue, they have given me no trouble whatsoever.

Not an issue, just make sure the vent holes aren't blocked. This has happened with several of my batteries and results from the host being too short for the batteries. When you fully screw down the tail cap, they get squashed. If they are no longer making proper contact, you can add a small blob of solder to the tab, or a neodymium rare earth magnet.:beer:

Last edited:
I have a DRY 3x XML that uses a battery carrier to hold the three 18650s. I use Sanyo 2600mAh bare cells, and the carrier does have a tendency to dent in the flat tops. I've been meaning to replace or modify the springs, but for now, I have "modified" my Xtar WP2 II charger by creating spacers to mate the flush + end of the charger with the flat tops of the cells.

the spacers are basically a coil of insulated copper wire, with the wire fully insulated except for the center, where I've stripped the insulation and balled it up a bit so that it self-centers itself on the female threads of the terminal, and makes contact with the center of the flat top of the battery. I will probably make some better spacers that screw into the female threads if I happen across some screws that match the threads.

The stock spacers are too thick to use with 18650 sized cells.

edit: this is the battery carrier that my DRY uses: http://www.cnqualitygoods.com/goods.php?id=1459

Last edited:
I have a DRY 3x XML that uses a battery carrier to hold the three 18650s. I use Sanyo 2600mAh bare cells, and the carrier does have a tendency to dent in the flat tops. I've been meaning to replace or modify the springs, but for now, I have "modified" my Xtar WP2 II charger by creating spacers to mate the flush + end of the charger with the flat tops of the cells.

the spacers are basically a coil of insulated copper wire, with the wire fully insulated except for the center, where I've stripped the insulation and balled it up a bit so that it self-centers itself on the female threads of the terminal, and makes contact with the center of the flat top of the battery. I will probably make some better spacers that screw into the female threads if I happen across some screws that match the threads.

The stock spacers are too thick to use with 18650 sized cells.

edit: this is the battery carrier that my DRY uses: http://www.cnqualitygoods.com/goods.php?id=1459

Yeah that carrier is pretty similar to the TN30 one.