Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Dell inspiron help pls...

I have been given a laptop which is an unknown quantity. I connected it up to the mains and when the power button is hit the usual lights come on for 5 seconds then it shuts down again.

A little investigation shows that the RAM has been removed. ( I asked the guy who donated it and have been told it was used to expand capacity in another Dell but he was not sure of the status of the host laptop at time of removal)

It could be that it is a dodo but my questions are:- With no RAM fitted would you expect it to get further into start up? Do you think it is worth me getting some RAM fitted to see if it is viable?

I hope all is not lost as I want to use this to run the software for the scanner I am building.

All help appreciated :)

Regards rog8811

C

Chris.

It wouldn't be expected to get any further without ram..
Just grab some on Ebay second hand.

Thanks Chris, I will take it that step further and keep my fingers crossed :)

Regards rog8811

C

Chris.

No problem.
I got an old Compaq Evo N400C for free before, and similarly it would just flicker it's lights and beep twice before turning off. (It also lacked RAM)
This might sound stupid but make sure you get the correct RAM because there are SO many types now.

It would usually go no further and sometimes a beep sound will be made, according to Crucial.

Rog, what the exact model no. of the laptop? I'll check to see if I have a spare stick or two of RAM that I can lend you to test the laptop.

Chris is right, the PC will not go at all if the ram is removed. This is because the way the system is connected. In order for your PC to boot from your HDD, it needs to go through the RAM. If there is no RAM it can't reserve mem. for devices and thus can't get to the HDD. Also it will give an error code usually through a series of beeps, if you write me the sequence, e.g. Long, Short, Short etc. I could tell you that it is definitely the ram.

So, bottom line, RAM is VERY essential, also get as much as you can justify spending, as it will really help an ageing PC 'feel' quicker.

I know you live in the UK, but I don't know exactly where. If you live nearby, feel free to drop it off and I'll have a quick look over it for you, if you want that is!

Dan :)

it may be different with a laptop, but most desktops i have worked with WILL power on with no ram, but will not produce an image - so i'd be cautious and not buy a lot of ram as it may be dead

Right, lets see..... I don't get any beeps at all.....It says on the label that it is a model PP01L Latitude C510/C610.

@Dan I will PM you about your offer, thanks :)

Thanks to everyone else too....

Regards rog8811

@ Chris...Sods law, I did a quick search, there doesn't seem to be a single one of these for sale in the UK :mad:

I will have a better look tomorrow...Thanks for the info.

Regards rog8811

Thanks again both I will most likely take a punt at that it has got to be worth £5 to see if it works....

Regards rog8811