Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DealExtreme 30mW Green Laser

So, right now I have a 5mW (more like <5mW) laser, and i wanted to get a more powerful one that i can use at my home and not in the general public (like i do with the "legal" one)

Is the $24.57 30 mW deal to good to be true? The review are very good on it though, but they have no IR filter.

So what I was wondering is if i shine it at a wall with no glasses on, would it hurt my vision? I know it would if i shined it in my eye, but i wouldn't do that!

Also, would i want to block the IR or the Green Laser? Cause the glasses they make seem to be the ones that block red/blue/green/IR, and i don't know about combo glasses. So does any one here have a good link to a site that sells the cheap glasses, whichever ones you guys think I need?

Don't know if I will be able to get this laser, but was curious, I am kinda new to the scene so go easy on me! lol ;)

EDIT: Hmm... now i see that it may have a dimming problem, most people are saying it is the crystal and the cheap crystal they use is sensitive to temperature. There are a few people saying it is the battery output though... so idk. I personally don't have that problem with my <5mW laser.

The ir that comes out of them isn't rally a big deal. We are talking something like 3-5mw of IR, and IR doesn't collaminate well, so after a few feet is it spreads out and can't really cause much damage.

About shining it on a wall, if the wall is white you will have some diffused reflections. It will seem very bright. At 30mw diffused reflections won't really do much to your eyes as long as your about 3 feet away from the wall (Playing it safe), but at higher powers you need to be more careful. Again, it depends what color your wall is. It will reflect more and seem a lot brighter if it is white opposed to it being brown.

You would want glasses that block green (532nm), because most of whats coming out will be green. Never purposly look into the beam of a laser, even if you have goggles. You can even buy an IR filter to stick into your laser (If IR is really a big deal for you) from novalasers for like $10 or something.

I have heard good things about the DX true 30mw, but remember, with DX lasers its either a hit or a miss. Buying those green pointers from them is a gamble. You might get a good one, or you might get one with severe mode problems, or one thats really underpowered.

Ah, i see, so your $20 could be a great deal or a horrible deal, it just depends with them then! Lets just assume that everything i shine it on is White (not a mirror). Would it be a HUGE deal if I get glasses or not? I know they are kinda $$$, round $40-$50, and if i were to shine it in a mirror and it did go into someones eye (assuming it is only at its full power, 30mW). What would be the major risk in your (or anybody else reading this) opinion? Also if it were to go into someone else's eyes real quick? (on accident of course)

btw, thanks for the quick response! :)

Switch

At 30mW, a quick scan through the eye would probably be harmless if you're a good 10-15 feet away so the beam diameter is at least a few mm wide.I got a lot of 30mW+(I estimate they were at least that) in my eyes from laser scanners,and they do hurt after a while but no permanent damage that I've noticed.
Of coarse it would probably cause long term damage if I would be getting them in my eye everyday for months or years. :p

I personally wouldn't worry that much about goggles.I mean, 30mW is no toy, but with some common sense and carefulness, diffuse and specular reflections won't hurt you.But if you wanna be super safe and take absolutely no risk and also have the money(since they cost twice as much as the laser) get goggles. ;)

Switch said:
At 30mW, a quick scan through the eye would probably be harmless if you're a good 10-15 feet away so the beam diameter is at least a few mm wide.I got a lot of 30mW+(I estimate they were at least that) in my eyes from laser scanners,and they do hurt after a while but no permanent damage that I've noticed.
Of coarse it would probably cause long term damage if I would be getting them in my eye everyday for months or years. :p

I personally wouldn't worry that much about goggles.I mean, 30mW is no toy, but with some common sense and carefulness, diffuse and specular reflections won't hurt you.But if you wanna be super safe and take absolutely no risk and also have the money(since they cost twice as much as the laser) get goggles. ;)

Ok thanks, I posted in another forums, and they are saying that it is a deal that IS to good to be true, because they said you probably turn it on and it is 30mW for a second or two, then drops to <5mW, or they are saying that it outputs up to 30mW of IR since these don't have the IR filters, so for all I know it is worse than the one I got! (or just a little better), so idk, probably have to buy from a legit company, like nova, unless you guys have a different opinion or maybe one have you have bought one of these and maybe it was good... or bad.. :D

Switch

Well I saw some people here being happy with the DX30, I have been considering buying it too since I don't have much money :p Other thing I noticed is that dx customers say that you have a chance of getting a good unit, but you can also get a crappy one, depends on your luck.But you could send it back if it's underspec,customer support isn't that bad(well not WL bad anyway ::) )

Switch said:
Well I saw some people here being happy with the DX30, I have been considering buying it too since I don't have much money :p Other thing I noticed is that dx customers say that you have a chance of getting a good unit, but you can also get a crappy one, depends on your luck.But you could send it back if it's underspec,customer support isn't that bad(well not WL bad anyway ::) )

lol, well if you buy one b4 I do or anyone else here does and has good or bad things to say about it, AIM, YIM or ICQ me!

AIM: linkinpark3223
YIM: linkinpark9812

Switch, you can IM me if you like and we could talk about it. i am on now! :)

They do have ir filters and if you do a search yod will see that 80%+ are happy with their dx 30 the others reaturend them and got new ones and are happie
some people say they dont have ir filters becaus it says so on their sight but they say that just to cover them selfs
thei ir filters are crappy but work for 0~50mw true units and above that they let through some ir.
one person on here reported 3-4mw of ir from the 30mw units witch is very good plus the fact that ir is really not that bad its not collomated enough to do much harm unless your closer then 2-3ft away from the dot then it might be tight enough to do dammages but the monster green beam is what you need to be worried about as their was a post on here about a person that swiped it across their eyes 2x and now have a blank spot in the back of their retna whare it burnd their eye.... so basicly just be carefull and dont look directly at it and you should be fine

i have the dx200 and i love the thing it keeps up with my alpha 125 and was 1/3 the price : ) and i still have 20/20 vision plus i have been hit by the beam when i was setting up my tunnle effect from 5ft away..... dont ask me how i dont have vision problms but i dont : )
also i have taken apart a dx50 to finde an ir filter so i can confermt that they do have ir filters

anways good luck and you wont be let down (most of the time) if you get yoru dx30

f22warzone said:
They do have ir filters and if you do a search yod will see that 80%+ are happy with their dx 30 the others reaturend them and got new ones and are happie
some people say they dont have ir filters becaus it says so on their sight but they say that just to cover them selfs
thei ir filters are crappy but work for 0~50mw true units and above that they let through some ir.
one person on here reported 3-4mw of ir from the 30mw units witch is very good plus the fact that ir is really not that bad its not collomated enough to do much harm unless your closer then 2-3ft away from the dot then it might be tight enough to do dammages but the monster green beam is what you need to be worried about as their was a post on here about a person that swiped it across their eyes 2x and now have a blank spot in the back of their retna whare it burnd their eye.... so basicly just be carefull and dont look directly at it and you should be fine

i have the dx200 and i love the thing it keeps up with my alpha 125 and was 1/3 the price : ) and i still have 20/20 vision plus i have been hit by the beam when i was setting up my tunnle effect from 5ft away..... dont ask me how i dont have vision problms but i dont : )
also i have taken apart a dx50 to finde an ir filter so i can confermt that they do have ir filters

anways good luck and you wont be let down (most of the time) if you get yoru dx30

Thanks a lot for the explanation and Bluefusion! I shall think about it now, but do either of you think I should by 532 nm Glasses for it when I buy it? Or do you think it will be no big deal as long as I don't get it in my eyes?

f22warzone said:
its really no big deal as long as you dont get it in your eyes

All right, thanks, I just hope when I order later on that I get a "Good One" (Unless the Good Ones come to a person, that person does something to it, such as drop it, complain to DX that they sent them a bad one). Hopefully THAT is how it gos and it isn't a trial and error! ;D

i got goggles free when i bought my 35mw laser and while they are useful for focusing the dot to a pinpoint, they're not needed 90% of the time

MarioMaster said:
i got goggles free when i bought my 35mw laser and while they are useful for focusing the dot to a pinpoint, they're not needed 90% of the time

alright thanks! :)

Switch

Yay, just got moneyz :D Now I have to put them on my card and figure out how to pay, I never ordered anything on the net :p

Switch said:
Yay, just got moneyz :D Now I have to put them on my card and figure out how to pay, I never ordered anything on the net :p
paypal is great for debit/credit cards :)

and yes this laser is very good for the price, i have one and its a bit brighter than my 15mW WL which i think is more around 20-25mW so i would say its near 30mW