Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Deal Extreme Lasers

N00B

I just picked up one of their 30mw models for taking places and showing off ;). On the candle power forums they said that they were a steal for $30. Now my question to you is this: I havent seen a straight answer as to whether or not these are IR filtered. I saw one person that said the 20 and 30mw models were but havent gotten a straight answer thus far.

Also, whats the difference between when they say "true 30mw laser" and just plain "**mw laser"?

Also whats the deal with the 200mw laser? serously what is that? lol

S

SenKat

Nobody knows about the 200mw one yet - since they have not shipped yet....the 30mw may be dead on accurate, or maybe a little better. I have owned many 50mw ones with IR filters and have been very pleased. If you want to test it out properly, measure the power with and without an IR filter. If you do not have a power meter, you can always send to one of us that do....I have the new Andover Holography LPM-1 which works like a CHAMP ! Measures up to 1 watt. Where do you live ? If you are stateside and cover shipping, I'll test it for you....

N00B

Thanks for the offer Senkat, since it only costs about $30 im not too worried about power-output, as long as it more than 15mw im fine for that price. i live in Wisconsin. What state are you in? i would most definitly take you up on your offer to test as i get deeper into buying lasers :eek:

So you do think that it will have an IR filter? And also i was looking at either the 100 or 150mw versions, would those have IR filters?

Is the IR filter visible to the eye? i just want to check before i start using it.

Thanks again!

S

SenKat

If you pull the tip of the laser out of the body (gently - but with force !) Keep the button pointing down as you do this....but if you pull it out, you will see a cyan piece of glass on the output end...that's it ! I am in Texas - San Antonio....There's wuite a few of use LPF'ers in Tx ! The offer stands - I am sure most folks with a meter would not mind helping out anyways :)

Psuedo tested a 100mw one and had BAD results...It seems like 50mw and below are the gems, BUT (no offense, Psuedo) Until I get one of each, I will not be 100% sure ! :) That is just me, it is absolutely NOT against Psuedo - I KNOW he knows what he is doing.....Maybe he got a bad unit ? I dunno.....

Noob --

I got two of the 20 mW DX pointers. Pulled both apart and found what appears to be an IR filter between the MCA and output lens. I measured under 1 mW IR output while reading 45 mW GREEN !! Just my sample. I'm still waiting on my 200 mW DX :-(

Mike

N00B

Is 1mw of IR normal? Be sure to post a review of the 200mw when you get it, im very curious on how it does and what the actual output is.

You'll find that most lasers put out some IR - even if they're filtered.  The key is that the really good ones don't put out much at all.  Personally I wouldn't worry about anything under 10mW (of course I wouldn't shine it in my eye either - and distance helps since the IR fans out quite quickly)

dyyys1

My first post. :) Looks like a nice place. Anyway, I am a member of candlepower forums and I heard about the dx lasers. I emailed dealextreme to ask if the 30 mw had and IR filter, and they said that it did not. If this is true, how dangerous would it be? Doesn't the IR diffuse quickly enough that beyond a foot or two it isn't a problem?

N00B

From what i have gathered so far, only the dx 50mw and below have Ir filters.

It isn't just a matter of "having" an IR filter, it has to be filtered well. The higher priced units tend to be filtered very well, the lower priced units may have an IR filter, but it may not be a good filter. Soon we'll know a little more since a few of us now have meters and can test for IR.

mrbear

So where can one get an IR filter? Or should we just buy a high powered one and a low powered one and swap the tips? :cool:

S

SenKat

Check the sticky on IR filters in the experiments and mods section - gives a link, and I gotta say I am VERY impressed with the filters !

BobW55

N00B said:
I just picked up one of their 30mw models for taking places and showing off ;). On the candle power forums they said that they were a steal for $30. Now my question to you is this: I havent seen a straight answer as to whether or not these are IR filtered. I saw one person that said the 20 and 30mw models were but havent gotten a straight answer thus far.

Also, whats the difference between when they say "true 30mw laser" and just plain "**mw laser"?

Also whats the deal with the 200mw laser? serously what is that? lol

Does anyone know if the DE 30mw can be modified with the pot mod or others?
May be my new present to myself.

Kenom

I havn't been able to pull the tip off of my 30mw dx. Of course I wasn't trying to get very aggressive as this is now my only working laser. I fried my Leadlight from overdriving it with cr123 rechargable batteries. Now SenKat has all of my parts and is trying to resurrect the dead!!!