Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Dead Blue Ray Diode?

Hey, I was trying out my first build and I think I killed my diode.
It was actually lasing initially, but then I desoldered it because the driver wasn't aligned straight so the back of the aixiz module wouldn't screw in. After I realigned it, it stopped working. How sensitive is the diode to heat from the soldering iron? and is it best to solder it straight the first time? I'm using a fixed current rkcstr driver.

Do most people use a clamp when they do this? I found it hard to hold everything still while I was soldering.

daguin

x101xtreme said:
Hey, I was trying out my first build and I think I killed my diode.
It was actually lasing initially, but then I desoldered it because the driver wasn't aligned straight so the back of the aixiz module wouldn't screw in. After I realigned it, it stopped working. How sensitive is the diode to heat from the soldering iron? and is it best to solder it straight the first time? I'm using a fixed current rkcstr driver.

Do most people use a clamp when they do this? I found it hard to hold everything still while I was soldering.

They are sensitive to heat

You should solder it straight the first time to limit the number of times the soldering iron must be in contact with the diode

I (and many others) use a set of "extra hands" to hold things in place to work on them.
417pGsjcfGL._SS500_.jpg

Peace,
dave

Where do I buy clamps like the one in your post? Do local hardware stores carry them and are they expensive?

daguin

x101xtreme said:
Where do I buy clamps like the one in your post? Do local hardware stores carry them and are they expensive?

Radio Shack

Electronics supply stores

Hobby shops

Arts and crafts stores

Some sporting goods stores

Just google "extra hands" or "helping hands"

Peace,
dave