Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Dead 8x BR diode - Free to a good home

Up for grabs is the diode from an LG BH08 8x bluray burner. The diode was subjected to 5min on at 300mA, then rapidly cycled on and off without cooling down. It's gone open circuit. I'm guessing one of the tiny microfilament wires in there got damaged, since it's not a zombie but completely dead.

If anyone has the resources to decan the diode and resolder those incredibly tiny little wires, you're welcome to have it. Otherwise, I'd like whoever I send it to to be able to a forensic report, decan the diode and provide high res macros of the die and the 2d barcode on the back of the can.

Shipping will be in an antistatic bag in a bubble mailer, sent via regular letter mail. If you'd like anything fancier you'll have to pay for it.

PM me or reply to this thread if you're interested. I won't be giving it away to the first to reply, rather whomever I think will be able to make the best use of it.

I wouldn't mind taking it off your hands but I'm SURE that there are other Members out there that are far better equipped with the tools & the smarts to do what your asking, so count me interested, but out !!:worthy: rob

Eku

Resoldering those tiny wires you'd need a super tiny soldering tip and super thin solder.
But if sombody did do it, I'd be very surprised!

Resoldering those tiny wires you'd need a super tiny soldering tip and super thin solder.
But if sombody did do it, I'd be very surprised!

I'll take it!
I have access to some pretty small tools, and I can decan it easily.

I'll take it!
I have access to some pretty small tools, and I can decan it easily.

Do you have indium solder and a binocular microscope?

I know there are (or at least were) people on this forum with the tools and experience to solder those tiny wires.. I just don't remember who they are or if they're still here...

At any rate, you're my top candidate so far, but I'm going to leave this thread open for a couple more days.

Do you have indium solder and a binocular microscope?

I know there are (or at least were) people on this forum with the tools and experience to solder those tiny wires.. I just don't remember who they are or if they're still here...

At any rate, you're my top candidate so far, but I'm going to leave this thread open for a couple more days.

Yes, and yes.
I have both Indium solder and a binocular microscope.

I doubt that those tiny wires are the problem. I'm guessing heat or Optic failure.
Mike

I doubt that those tiny wires are the problem. I'm guessing heat or Optic failure.
Mike

I'm guessing if it were COD it would zombify or at least conduct... If it were heat, I dunno, but I guess it would at least still conduct... The diode is open circuit, so I'm guessing one of the little wires has melted.

I'd wager if someone has the tools to do so they should be able to revive this...

I'm guessing if it were COD it would zombify or at least conduct... If it were heat, I dunno, but I guess it would at least still conduct... The diode is open circuit, so I'm guessing one of the little wires has melted.

I'd wager if someone has the tools to do so they should be able to revive this...

Yep, might as well try.