Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Daytime outdoor pointer

I'm looking for a pointer able to shine a spot visible in direct sunlight at a range of 15 feet. Duty cycle will be about 30s on at a time.

Will a cheap red or 405nm pointer from somewhere like DX be good enough for this or will I need to step up to a DPSS green pointer like Laserglow's Lyra or Atlasnova's APC offering?

I'm looking for a pointer able to shine a spot visible in direct sunlight at a range of 15 feet. Duty cycle will be about 30s on at a time.

Will a cheap red or 405nm pointer from somewhere like DX be good enough for this or will I need to step up to a DPSS green pointer like Laserglow's Lyra or Atlasnova's APC offering?
get a led shop 50mW greenie, they are $25!!! mine is awsome

At that range, even a 5mW red laser will have a visible spot in direct sunlight, but I would recommend going with a green pointer with power output round 20-50mW for the best visibility without going overboard.

5 mW of 405 will not be very noticeable. I used a 7 mW for quite a while and that would not fill the bill here! -Glenn

Your best bet will be buying a 30-50mW green pointer. That way you'll always see it in daylight at that distance. Try one of the romisen hosts from DX.

My old 45mw Leadlight and 70mw CNI both had NO problems being visible at quite a distance (100ft+) in direct sunlight, if that helps at all.

Just my humble $0.02 worth, stick with a green as advised by most posters above me. It will provide you with the BEST bang & (SPOT) for your investment. 10mW's to 25mW's will be all the power you should need to handle your requirements. As far as manufacturer/cost goes, spend just what you can afford/be happy with........rob