Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Dang. Lens flare.

I've got lens flare on one of my lasers. I've tried cleaning the lens to no avail. It's the line type flare, and is always comes from the same position. [ie turn the lens flare turns too] So, it must be because the lens is uncoated. I can't think of any other reason.

Tabish

I've got lens flare on one of my lasers. I've tried cleaning the lens to no avail. It's the line type flare, and is always comes from the same position. [ie turn the lens flare turns too] So, it must be because the lens is uncoated. I can't think of any other reason.

Hmm, tried using alcohol / q-tip ? Actually, I wonder if alcohol might be bad for the AR coating...

Any visible marks on the lens / AR coating when held up to the light ?

First of all, which lens ? If it's the 405-G, I think the lens can get loose in the assembly.

Morgan

Alcohol shouldn't affect the coatings. It's standard issue to clean optics with it and the coating method is pretty hardwearing anyway.

Any pics of the flare? I've seen hairs producing a defraction effect but if you're actively moving cleaning product over the surface of the lens then it should at least change what you see.

M
:)

I have a 250mw module I just got that has lens flare also. I thought it was probably just the cheap plastic lens that came with it. This lens assy. is rather loose when it screws into the housing anyway. I will be ordering some glass lenses soon. Hope that takes care of my problem.

George

Trevor

There is no AR coating and i think that may be the problem.

A lack of an AR coating will cause faint extra dots... is that what you're observing? An uncoated lens along won't cause a line though.

-Trevor