Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Damaged Lens

XiteR

I have a 75mw 532nm laser pointer & while my friend was trying it out it fell from his hands (Damn you friend :gun:) & the small tiny lens (small magnifying glass) that can be found on the tip of the laser was miss attached & got loose from its spot.

Now the laser with out the lens works like a torch with a big huge dot.

i tried to fix it by trying to glue it back but the laser head was soo small that lens it self got a little glue on it & got a little bit damaged.

Now the when i put the lens on the right spot (still loose) & use the laser the dot isn't clear & u can see many dots around the main one.

any ideas to help me fix this problem ?

:thanks:

note: i think i posted this in the wrong section ( tried to delete it & post it in the right section but no delete option available) if a moderator can move it to the repair section i would be greatful.

Last edited:

What kind of glue did you use?

All you can really do is try to clean it with like, rubbng alcohol and a cotton swab or something.

^^^Exactly what he said.

Chances are though, if the lens fell on the ground, it also got somewhat scratched up... If that's the case you're still going to have plenty of artifacts.

Edit... IMHO cotton swabs aren't very good for cleaning the lenses.. they can leave behind tiny cotton fibers.

A microfiber cloth dipped in 91% rubbing alcohol would work better.

Last edited:
If you used superglue, you've ruined the lens. If not, all you can do is try cleaning it.

XiteR

The probelm is i used a super glue to stick it up & some of that glue is still on it & on the center of the lens aswell. The glue is hard as rock now :(

Super-Glue-TY-4-IN-AL-TUBE-.jpg

Never use superglue for lenses. When it cures, it puts off vapors. The vapors will leave a residue if they cannot escape, thus making the lens cloudy on the inside

Last edited:
Soak the lens in a bit of rubbing alcohol... Might help to take it off, but a fair chance that it's ruined.

Anything that might cut cryocyanalate (superglue), is going to remove any AR coating as well, I believe. :(

Would be a concern with a higher power laser, but with this... probably not so much.

Hmm, might be easier to play around with different lens altogether, and forget this one.

XiteR

Ok am gona try to wash out & clean it :toilet: with an alcohol or so but...
what if i could take another new lens from another laser (one of the cheap 5mw ones) wouldn't that do the trick ;) ? or does the lens differ from one laser to the other ?

Ok am gona try to wash out & clean it :toilet: with an alcohol or so but...
what if i could take another new lens from another laser (one of the cheap 5mw ones) wouldn't that do the trick ;) ? or does the lens differ from one laser to the other ?

Using a lens from a cheapie *may* work. You may get lucky and have a lens with a focal length close to the original. Is the laser focusable at all?

Acetone (can be found in most nail polish removers) should be able to dissolve super glue.
It will not dissolve AR coatings and it doesn't look like the lens is coated anyway.

2 part epoxy is what I use on optics. Anything that lets off vapors is a no-no.

Rubbing alcohol and a cotton swab or a clean microfiber cloth works well for cleaning lenses.

Sometimes I get epoxy on the wrong part of a lens. When that happens I soak the lens in anything with a lot of acetone for a few minutes, then rinse with rubbing alcohol and remove the residue with a cotton ball, then rinse again in clean alcohol and repeat until all the junk is gone.

Last edited:
Thanks RA Pierce. Ill have to keep in mind for future optics projects that acetone wont damage AR coatings. :beer:

XiteR

Acetone (can be found in most nail polish removers) should be able to dissolve super glue.
It will not dissolve AR coatings and it doesn't look like the lens is coated anyway.

As RA_Pierce suggested i used Acetone (Nail Polish Remover) & now i can say the lens over all glue damage has been cured (Dissolved) by 90% (SWEET !!:D)

But how will i reattach it to the laser or glue it back ? should i use play-do glue ? any suggestions

As RA_Pierce suggested i used Acetone (Nail Polish Remover) & now i can say the lens over all glue damage has been cured (Dissolved) by 90% (SWEET !!:D)

But how will i reattach it to the laser or glue it back ? should i use play-do glue ? any suggestions

Glad to hear it.
Epoxy is pretty cheap at most home improvement stores.
Anything else won't be strong enough or will produce vapors.
A few small drops on the edges should be enough.