Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Laser Pointer Store

Cutting Laser Via Fiber

uMinded

I would like to build my own laser cutter but am not sure how powerful I will be forced to go. I see fancy modules like this one:
Industrial 808nm 3000mw Infrared Focusable Laser Diode Module Cutter w/TTL

And I know if you pulse the diode you can get more out of it but I do not know how much I can. My goal is to have the laser feed into a fiber optic cable and focus at the very end instead of bouncing it off mirrors and having out of focus spots on large travels.

LASER FIBER >250cm BURN CNC REPRAP LASER FIBER 3D PRINTER CUTTER

Something like that can handle 300W of 808nm power and it would be a lot safer than mirrors I would think.

I would like to price out two machines with very different capabilities:
1) Cutting card stock, max thickness of a manila folder. IT would be nice if I could raster images into wood and acrylic as well.

2) Cutting wood and acrylic, 3 - 6mm (1/8 - 1/4")

I know you can get 50W CO2 laser tubes but I want to see if it is possible to do it with fiber for safety. Can you a 50W CO2 laser down a fiber without destroying it?

AUS

I could be wrong, but I think you will probably find there is a lot of attenuation in optic fibre, plus is can screw up the beam shape. Commercial CO2 laser engravers usually have a fixed CO2 tube and use two mirrors.

There was some discussion about that here. I know I didn't get much out of the end of an optic fibre patch lead

Flaminpyro

Well what do they use in the big metal cutting lasers that cut steel plate, how are there optics rigged ?

They probably start out with so much power it doesn't matter if they used a drain pipe for optics :crackup:

Last edited: