Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Current vs more batteries

Ok i have a question. I think i kno the answer but i dont want to chance my assumption with a 120$ laser. ok if i have 2 cr123 battries in parallel it puts out 3.0V and some current i will use 1000ma. ok the laser takes this power and regulates it down to what 800ma for the dx200 and 2.2 volts right?
ok now if say i make a battrie holder that holds say 6cr123 battries it will still be 3volts but will the current go up to 3000ma becaus of less resistance becaus the laser can take power from 6diffbattries instead of just 2 or is the current constent like voltage even in parallel it says the same and the only thing affected is the power avaible mesured in mah right milla amps per hour? and a e2 cr123 battrie has what 1000mah? so if i had 6 in parallel i would have 6000mah right? now all of these figures besides the voltages i just made up becaus i really do not kno i was just using it to make it easer to read instead of using x's and y's and making it a Algebra problem :p. but if you have the right figures it would be nice.
anways thank for any replies i should be getting the battries soon and i will make a holder to go with my laser if it is safe and does not kill the diod by giving it to much current.

Ashton

That's a posivily mahvelous way to kill your laser! smashing I tell you! *british accent*

There is a *Very* narrow range a LD can take before it goes to diode heaven. For instance, msot cannot take over 500ma, nomatter how you slice it. Greens can take more volts (ala lithoums) but eventually they will blow up too (I think 3v is around the top-end for even greens, though I'm not sure (keep in mind I'm an amature and not an EE like some of the ppl on here)

You need to get the manufacturer's datasheet on the diode to know what it's range is, also you need to look at the driver board and see what the range of the components is. IF the laser can take 4V but the board can only take 2V, you fry the board and the laser is useless, even if the diode is fine.

Keep in mind that you'll need much better cooling as you overdrive your diode, preferablyt TEC or even water-cooling if it pumps enough pwoer (water-cooling is how CO2 lasers; which are in the 10-80WATT range; cool themselves.)

I hope that answered your question, if not, I'm sure one of the geniouses on here can help. I'm still rather new to all of this. I'm mainly sitting back and enjoying the lightshow and the fire at this point! lol

ok i think you miss read my post or you did not read the thing at the bottom wher i just made up figures. tho i do recal reading some whare on here that they said the dx200 was pushing 800ma. but no i am not adding more volts and i am not tring to add more current the basic question was does more battries alighend in parallel produce more current than just 1 battrie. i am not trying to fry my diod i am simply tring to get more battrie life with out having to change the battries out so many times

parallel
-+-----+------+------+------+------ positive wire
| | | | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | | | |
--------------------------------------- negative wire
so as you can see this configureation does not add more volts but does it add more current to the diode becaus it has more battries to choose from = less resistance?

chimo

The cells in parallel are able to produce more current, however, the circuit may not demand more current. What will happen is the battery pack will experience less battery "sag" when under load. Battery sag is due to the internal resistance of the battery and is a function of the current draw. The higher the current, the more the voltage drop. When the cells are in parallel, each cell is delivering less current so the voltage drop (sag) will be less. In addition, the battery pack as a whole will last longer than individual cell run-times added due to the lower current draw.

f22warzone said:
ok i think you miss read my post or you did not read the thing at the bottom wher i just made up figures. tho i do recal reading some whare on here that they said the dx200 was pushing 800ma. but no i am not adding more volts and i am not tring to add more current the basic question was does more battries alighend in parallel produce more current than just 1 battrie. i am not trying to fry my diod i am simply tring to get more battrie life with out having to change the battries out so many times

parallel
-+-----+------+------+------+------   positive wire
|  |    |  |     |  | |  |     |  |
|  |    |  |     |  | |  |     |  |
---------------------------------------  negative wire
so as you can see this configureation does not add more volts but does it add more current to the diode becaus it has more battries to choose from = less resistance?

I think i have just created the most expensive batterie power for handheld pointers ever.

12 cr123a batteries in paralles runing at 2.8v was at 3 untell one of the pack of 3 battries i hookd up wrong and it shorted out so ya i got 12 2.8v battries instead of 3v but its all good.

8 nimh battries for the fan.

so this battrie pack has 20 batteries in it :p and it weights about 3 pounds :p but it freaking rocks lol i think i am set for life now for batteries:p