Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Curious about the Mensa test.

• Thread starter Deleted member 8382
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 8382

http://www.mensa.es/test/test.html

Someone gave me this link that is suposed to be a Mensa orientative test to know if you are over 130 IQ. You must do the test in 8 minutes or less. Althought the page is in spanish, you don't need to understand nothing. The button "corregir" means "correct". After this you will be driven to a page in wich a sentence like this is displayed

"Agradecemos el esfuerzo y tiempo empleados en realizar el test orientativo que hemos colocado en nuestro web. Su puntuación ha sido XX aciertos sobre 18 posibles. De ello deducimos que sus posibilidades de entrar en Mensa son muy altas."

Where the XX is the score.

I made it and got a 18/18 score in 5 minutes 20 seconds. I'm wondering if they are just trying to get people in their association because I don't think I am over 130 >.>

Last edited by a moderator:

that is not an iq test. it is an aptitude test. if you do well on it, you can get an evaluation from them, believe. and then more testing from there to see if you are for real or a cheat/fluke whatever.

People have tried to convince me to join Mensa before. But what do you do there? Sit there and act smart? Let your inner nerd flow? What?

-Mark

yea i got 18/18 too,
but i'm sure this isn't enough to get you into mensa.

any decent iq test will examine more areas than just looking at similar dotted patterns

D

Deleted member 8382

well, I also think they just get your money because you really don't do nothing there, but the guy who sent it to me said he had scored 14 and another had scored 13, I was just worried about it.

Anyway, I think the test is damn easy, can't see how could anyone fail any of the questions >.>

I think they jsut want you to try their exams becuase ofc you have to pay for doing them haha

Jaseth

Most online IQ tests are based on far too few questions and often in wrong areas. As far as I know they are purely meant to measure how much information you can juggle in your mind at the same time and how good your are at finding patterns. Real IQ tests get you a score (average in many MEDCs is around 100/105) and a full analysis of your mental skills.
I find http://www.iqtest.dk/main.swf is quite a good test (it can be taken in English, Spanish, Danish and German), although the score it gave me was a bit too high to believe.. apparently 148 which puts me among the top 0.2% which I doubt is true. However, it's good fun anyway!

Jaseth's test gives me 115 (quite tired, having had 3 exams today, and kind of guessing the last 5 out of boredom), and is a test of non-verbal reasoning - very similar to what some private schools use to judge candidates, but on other (online) tests I get nearer to 140. The thing is that those tests can be greatly affected by practice - first NVR test I did was awful and I failed to even get an interview, but after just a few practices, the next test was a walk in the park, scoring me an interview to my current school (to which I now have a scholarship). I'd guess that any site will over-rate your IQ, in order to sell you training to "realise your potential", and not be a true judge of intelligence. Even then, these tests show little of what you will actually perform - all the intelligence in the world is worth little if there's no dedication or motivation backing it.

D

Deleted member 8382

It gave me 128, I tought I was more on the 110-120 range ÔÔ

Benm

The mensa entrance test is very different from these online samplers. It consists (at least when i did mine in .nl) of a catell general intelligence test, and a seperate numerical aptitude test. You must score within the best 2% (of general populaton) on at least one to qualify.

But what do you do there? Sit there and act smart? Let your inner nerd flow? What?

It depends, all kinds of activities are organised (from casual drinks to trips, activities and such), but in honestly i never bothered beyond drinks. It is also supposed to make a decent business network, but i think that might be more so in the us than in european countries.

The only thing I know about Mensa is that supposedly (at least this is what I had heard, and that was a long time ago so this may not be true) if your IQ is 132 or over you can join. Of course, you have to be able to prove it, I suppose, with some sort of reputable testing they consider acceptable. The only reason I had heard that is because my mother had me tested professionally when I was in grade school and I scored slightly above that. But I really don't know if that's the only criteria for being able to join.

But, and this is a big "but", I have also heard that you have to have some serious math aptitude to be a member, which would totally let me out! If it's a bunch of number-crunchers, then I'd want no part of it anyway.

Speaking of testing, then there's the SATs, which tend to be much more important that IQ for most people who are looking to go to college. IMO they are (or at least 20 years ago they were) seriously skewed and biased against those of us who suck at math. I ended up with a flat out ordinary average score because my reading and writing was sky-high and my math score in the gutter. Luckily, I went to an art college so they didn't give a darn about the math.

D

Deleted member 8382

to join mensa you need to score over 130 with a test made with a dipsersation factor of 15. disperastion 15 is common in europe but usa tests do use other values wich means that 130 on USA is less than 130 in europe. I'm just speaking of what I heard long time ago and this info is probably not accurated.

YOu need to prove it by doing their test (40€) or by sending them a test made by a profesional. I anyway still don't understand why would someone pay their anual quote (50€) for meeting other "inteligent" people. If you haven't find intelligent people that is at your level in all your life you truly have a problem or your city is filled with idiots.

Also I speak for nothing because I don't think I am anything near those 130 and maybe a guy with real IQ over 130 wouldn't agree, but I'm just giving my opinion.

Yours,
Albert