Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Crossfire/Hulk 100% Duty Cycle?

This was started in another thread, but seeing as how it was already off-topic, I just decided to start a new one on this.  First off, I don't own a any of these lasers but I do want one if I could afford it.  :D  So for those who do own one, please enlighten the rest of us.

The crossfire from TL and the hulkultra from DL are basically the same units from CNI.  Now the question is: Will it ble...oops. Wrong question.  The question is "Is the duty cycle really 100%?"

Seeing as how I've had too much coffee for the day, I used both of their online support for answers.  Here's what I got, they said that "depending on the temperature (26C or lower), you can use the laser indefinitely or even until the battery runs out. If the unit gets too hot there will be a noticeable drop in power output."

So to the people who really know, is it or is it not?  :-?

Note: Public opinion on these companies have been taken into account.  The topic is about the laser unit, let's stay on track. ;)

Razako

"output may drop considerably if the laser gets too hot"
Basically they are saying that you can leave it on for a long time but it will have a massive power drop after it heats up.

This is NOT a 100% duty cycle. The Spyder II and Herc can be left on indefinitely and maintain their output because they have a cooling system built in. The Herc has a small fan inside forcing air through the heatsink and the spyder II is TEC cooled.

Also the 600mw output is the thing I would be questioning. I wonder if they didn't just remove the IR filter from a standard 400mw laser.

Switch

It basicly means that it's going to be an unstable POS running at 10% of it's advertised power and mode hopping all the way to [sub]99[/sub] eventually the crystals break, the diode dies, and the heatsink starts to melt , but if you want you can keep your finger on the button for as long as you like. ;D (it's called exageration and we all do it ::))

But maybe they mean you can operate it at freezing temperatures and it will perform very well.Eighter way I think they're just looking for a semantic loop hole to over-advertise. ::) I wonder why they don't go around saying that their lasers: 1) are green, 2) output over 4W .And while both statments would be true, you wouldn't get exactly what you want since the 4W are heat. ::)

Let's just say that the Crossfire 100% duty cycle is not as "100%" as the Hercules 100% duty cycle. :p

I would have to say that the Hulk would have a better cooling system then the Crossfire, and as such the hulk would defiantly hold more if not all of its power and could be left on until the batteries run out.

The only difference between these lasers is probably just the brand name. Both units are bought from CNI so most likely the performance will be the same. I was even referred to the specs charts on CNI's site. It's just weird that both sites advertise these units as being able to run indifinitely. But it appears the 100% duty cycle only applies if they were selling these units to Eskimos. ;D