Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Crooked and uneven beams??? Help

RECON

Hi all. I wanted to ask this question for a while now and get a response from the experienced crowd. I have noticed that most if not all of the lasers I have owned have what I call a "crooked beam." When coming out of the host at the aperature, the beam appears a couple degress of axis...either to the right or to the left depending on the make and model. It seems as if every laser I have owned has had an angle to the beam when compared to the alignment of the host. Some are worse than others. The beam never comes out perfectly straight. Am I getting bad luck with lasers or is this to be expected?? It is kind of frustrating because I dont know if I am receiving low quality models or if this is the "norm." I apologize ahead of time if this is a double post but I can't find definitive information about this topic. If anyone can help me I really appreciate it. Thanks guys.

Things

Nothing to worry about. Unless the beam is seriously off angle, it's completely normal.

JLSE

All it means is that the person who assembled the laser did not take the time
to center the expander lens completely.

This can be corrected but requires a steady hand, practice, and some epoxy..
Keep in mind, this only applies to 532nm or other DPSS lasers..

RECON

Thanks Things and Wannaburn. I mean the beams aren't terrible, but there is a definite angle. O well. I guess maybe its luck of the draw whether or not the person who assembles the laser centers the lense. Also, another quick question. Pertaining to pen pointers...is it normal after a couple duty cycles, for the dot to appear bright for approximately 1-2 seconds upon re-activation, then dim slightly and hold there during the remainder of the activation period? I have been told this was to be expected when the pointer is used after multiple duty cycles. Lemme know. Thank you guys.