Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Cree XM-L U2 26650 Flashlight REVIEW

Hey guys,

So as promised I have purchased more flashlights since IE has forced me into this flashlight hobby (JK IE, you just exposed me to it ;)). I bought two lights, one might be good as a laser host and the other was to replace my 7G5CS I sold to Speedy :D

Flashlight: Portable Cree XM-L U2 LED 2000 Lumens 5-Mode White Light Waterproof Flashlight (1 x 26650) - Black- $15.57 shipped, currently on sale for less than I paid but thats alright, Im happy with the light even for $18.

Service:
Just like last time, the service from AuraBuy was fantastic, this time was probably better than last but for one reason; I originally ordered a Palight 26650 flashlight and within 12 hours someone from AuraBuy emailed me saying unfortunately that light was out of stock and wondering if Id like a refund or to pick another item. I picked a different 26650 light and a pair of "beat audio" styled headphones (was planning on doing a short separate review of those for anyone interested but a heads up....they are pretty kick sweet!). I also placed an order for the 7G5CS replacement 2 days before this order so I asked AuraBuy to please combine the orders for shipping and they did it with no problem :D

Shipping took about 12-14 days from Palight order date so Id say 10-12 days once they confirmed the order switch. The only thing I wasnt happy about was how the USPS handled this package once stateside (so this has nothing to do with AuraBuy but I know how much we all LOVE USPS). Package arrived in the US within 4 days and then SAT in NY for another 5 days without moving :( Then when it arrived in Tampa USPS decided to not leave the package with my apartments office but yet leave a pick up notice for me on Wednesday! So convenient since the post office it was at is open from 8:30a-5:00p and I happen to work 8:30-5:30 but the post office right up the road is open until 6:00 so if it was there, I could have got the package before SATURDAY! Ughhh USPS fails us yet again!

Anyways, enough about how much USPS sucks and back to the review. Packaged VERY nicely yet again in a large bubble mailer with overkill amounts of bubble wrap and I like it :beer:

Specs from the site:

Features:
Utilizes Cree XM-L U2 LED, lifetime can up to 50,000 hours
Maximum output of up to 2000 lumens
Constructed from aluminum alloy
Sturdy military grade hard-anodized makes it durable
Optimized ultra-precise reflector offers a longer beam distance
Stainless steel retaining ring protects the core components of the flashlight
Toughened ultra-clear mineral glass with anti-reflective coating
Outdoor activities, for climbing, camping, seeking survival, walking, diving, fishing as well as hunting, good preparation for your family

Specifications:
LED: Cree XM-L U2 LED
Power supply: 1 x 26650 rechargeable battery (not included)
5 Modes: High / Mid / Low / Strobe / SOS
LED color: White
Lumens: 2000 lumens
Switch: Tail button
Material: Aluminum alloy
Package size (L x W x H): 18 x 6 x 6 cm
Package weight: 280 g

Packing List:
1 x CREE XM-L U2 LED Flashlight Torch

My findings:

Well first thing that I thought was the anodizing is very nice for a sub $20 flashlight. My light does not have one nick or mark in the anodizing anywhere, which will probably change once I start using it more often :p There is a small nick on the bezel from when it was machined but it is not noticeable unless you run your fingers around the bezel. Overall fit and finish is superb for a sub $20 light.

The reflector is actually a nice solid piece of aluminum with a smooth finish. There is no blemishes or warping on the reflector at all which is very nice and it shows in the ring-less beam profile. Host comes apart in three pieces (4 if you include the bezel as a piece). All the threads are nice and smooth with no grinding or squeaking, although they could use some more lube/grease to make them even smoother. The host has nice cut triangular threads that are un-anodize so lock out is not possible on this light, but this isnt a huge issue in my mind.

The business end is very nice. As mentioned before, there are no issues with the reflector at all and the LED is centered perfectly due to the plastic spacer. I doubt this light is really 2000 lumen but more around the 700-900 mark (see comparison against a 800 lumen C8 below). It definitely has a VERY cool tint to the LED and is actually cooler than my 7G5CS (I bought another one to test against the Small Sun ZY-T13 I ordered but more on that in another review)

Pictures:

High (sneak peak of the headphones :p)

Low

In person there is a large difference between high and low so Im messing around with the camera setting to show this.

C8 T6 (right) vs XM-L2 (left)

Overall:
I am very impressed with this light. Its a nice solid feeling host with good threads and a current/up to date emitter. I really like the XM-L lights and the performance over the Q5 lights. Since this light runs on a 26650, it should last a long time before charging. I have only used it for about 30 minutes testing and it has been great thus far. Surprisingly it has a good amount of throw for such a short reflector. It has plenty of flood and I will be getting some flood and throw photos later in the week when I have time. The front of the light only heats up slightly after 5 minutes of use. Its a little large for EDC but its still small enough to be is nice for a night stand or truck/car light. This might end up in my truck for a while until I buy another light. I might end up having a heat sink made for this light and turning it into a laser down the road or might do a driver swap and drive it harder than 3.2A, but until then it will get a good amount of use.

This is my third flashlight from AuraBuy and overall I have to say, Im very impressed. Not one light has come in with broken glass or faulty drivers/emitters. Every light has worked and been packed VERY well with quick shipping, minus USPS holding on to this package for 5 days! Pretty soon Im going to have more flashlights than IE :D

Just realized the first photo is slightly blurry so Im going to grab a replacement photo tomorrow night.

Thanks for reading guys and keep an eye out for my Small Sun ZY-T13 and Beats Audio styled headphone review. they are going to stay at work with me and replace my nice Phillips ear buds :D For under $20 these headphones are a no brainer and Im buying a few more as gift for Christmas time :)

If you guys have any question please ask and ill get you the info right away or if you want specific photos please let me know :D

I will be updating this thread with more findings as I test the light throughout this week.

-Sean

Last edited:

Re: Cree XM-L U2 22650 Flashlight REVIEW

I love that 7G5CS! Every time I show someone that light they shake their head and say "oh so you have all these lasers you need a flashlight with a beam too?" haha

Back on topic. Nice review! I like all the measurements. Makes it easy if someone was wanting to mod this.

Nice thorough review and thats a great price for what you get, I may just have to get one myself ;) looking forward to the beats headphones review :beer:

Yes very nice i have bought 4 Cree XML torches with 3 /4 and 7 XML T6 leds in them all are beasts i should do a review myself, seems to be in vogue lasers and high power torches
+1 if system allows

Yeah speedy...... it is a killer light and thats why i bought another. Missed it after a week of you having it lol but this small sun might give it a run for its money :) I love having two throwers

This light is great for the price and especially now since its on sale. Suprised it has such a nice aluminum reflector for the price. Normally lights of this price have jacked up reflectors but this is so nice.

The beats headphone review will prob be done tomorrow.....new zombie map came out today so after work, thats what im doing :D

I find that most multi emitter lights are under driven but everything from aurabuy has been driven decently thus far so might grab a multi emitter next

Edit: by decently I mean driven well. Some flashaholics will want them driven much harder but I dont like thay since I dont want to burn out the LED. Just like diodes....you can only push them so hard before they die :(

Last edited:
I think you will find it interesting how well things translate between the two hobbies. Just like wiht lasers, the larger the beam diameter, often an indication of more throwy light. Kind of like how you can get awesome divergence figures by using a beam expander.

You can also go the other way, using a smaller LED will make the beam "throwier" but at the cost of less light. Kind of like going from a 2.2W 445nm laser diode to a 50mW single mode 450nm diode. The smaller emitting area (among other things) leads to a less divergent beam.

One thing I personally would like to start seeing in reviews is reflecting surface dimensions of diameter and depth.

Also, re: USPS, it may have been stuck in customs, or it could just be that USPS can't compete with the other shippers. They've never done me wrong, but it's not like I get a lot mailed to me.

Have you gotten a chance to use one of them Solitaire LEDs in person? If you remember the original solitaire, you will be amazed! I was very pleasantly surprised to see the great beam quality for a keychain sized light.

YES! I knew I forgot to post something.....I have the reflector depth and diameter photos but they are on my card and didnt upload for some reason.....Ill get on that after I play some COD Zombies :eg:

I have not tried the Solitaire LED out, fist one ive ever purchased went straight to you. didnt even get to look at it :( I still want to see photos of that bad boy ;)

Yeah I am wanting to get a bunch of lights and as they start breaking from dropping or abuse, mod them with dedomes or drivers depending on the issue. AuraBuy still has a great sale on the Jacob A60- Jacob A60 Cree Q5 3-Mode 310LM White LED Flashlight Torch w/ Strap Black (1*18650) - Aurabuy I was going to buy one but I want to grab more than just one item so still searching for that second/third item. Might grab a few more of those headphones now or but definitely in the near future.

I know you mentioned how to test regulation somewhere else but I cant find it.......if i remember correctly its pretty easy to test :thinking:

Well, I'll have to make sure to get some pics of this bad boy! I wish I hadn't already popped in the battery it came with, should have saved that one for a runtime test!

I've heard decent things about the Jacob A60. From what I've read, it's a fairly good thrower, esp. for the price.

Well you can always test it with another battery.

Yes the A60 is a great thrower for the price. Personally havent ordered mine yet since I want to place one order and not 2 or 3 lol I have yet to read a bad review on the A60

For the price, the A60 is very hard to beat if not impossible, if you're after just throw.

This light you reviewed looks very very similar to my BLF A8, which I really love. My only gripe is that it doesn't fit keeppower 22650's well.

Whats the size of the keeppower 26650s? Ill compare them to my TF 26650 and see if this light is more accepting. afaik, this light has more room in it but never really checked since i didnt need to