Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Could Some one Tell Me what I have here?

I Just received this laser and I honestly don't know what I have here. All I know is that it works. I think that it might have come from a very old register check out scanner. Let me know what you think.

IMGP0976-1.jpg

IMGP0975-1.jpg

IMGP0981-1.jpg

IMGP0978-1.jpg

IMGP0982-1.jpg

IMGP0985-1.jpg

IMGP0984-1.jpg

IMGP0991.jpg

Thanks,
Iskor12

Last edited:

1mw? I looks much brighter than a normal 5mw.

Is there more information about these HeNe tubes on the forum?
How much are they worth?
What where they used on?

Maybe because its 632.8nm and not 650-660nm like other red pointers

Try the Gas section of the forum.

A red one with a nice power supply like 50usd or lower, the prices for He-Ne vary so much!

All kinds of things back in the 80's and 90's

Last edited:
Yeah, the gas section has lots of info. If you want specific info about that laser, try startng a thread about it there. Someone here might have more info.

HeNe tubes that size can produce 1-3mW typically, sometimes a hair more. It's not much, but it looks bright because it's 638nm rather than the usual 650-660nm we're all used to. The beam is fairly orange in comparison.

daguin

Yeah, the gas section has lots of info. If you want specific info about that laser, try startng a thread about it there. Someone here might have more info.

HeNe tubes that size can produce 1-3mW typically, sometimes a hair more. It's not much, but it looks bright because it's 638nm rather than the usual 650-660nm we're all used to. The beam is fairly orange in comparison.

LOL! Two typo's in a row. HeNe "red" lasers produce 632.8nm light. It "looks" much brighter than the 660nm red you are used to.

The output estimates are correct.

And yes. 1700V will "bite" you hard!

Peace,
dave

LOL! Two typo's in a row. HeNe "red" lasers produce 632.8nm light. It "looks" much brighter than the 660nm red you are used to.

The output estimates are correct.

And yes. 1700V will "bite" you hard!

Peace,
dave

LOL!! I totally was thinking 638.2. Dyslexia, ain't it a bitch?

Thanks very much for you help guys. I posted this laser in the gas lasers section.
Feel free to keep commenting here about it if you'd like.

The biggest thing that I am the most curious about now...is it's value. If it's worth a decent chunk of change I might consider selling it....if it isn't, then I will keep it because it's very cool. :)

Figure around $30-$50. What excels about HeNe lasers is the very thin beam, generally good divergence, the not polarized beam (usually), the lower wavelength, and the ability to constantly run the laser for hours. Personally I like the dot better than a typical diode dot.

Welcome to the gassy side :evil:

Lasher

Do these use the same kind of transformer as regular Neon lighting? I just won one on the raffle from Dave and I'm trying to read up about them so I can get it up and running.

I have a friend that used to do Neon lighting and if its the same then yes that transformer can nock you on your a$$.

I would say keep that for sure. It looks sharp :)

I do custom woodworking for a living and when I get mine I plan to build it into some kind of custom enclosure. Something to showcase it.

Lasher

I don't know if it's the same...but what I can tell you is this.

Output: 1700 Volts DC @ 4.9mA
(4.9mA is more than enough to stop your heart. Remember, it's the current that kills, not the voltage)

Once turned on, it takes about 3 to 5 seconds for the laser to light up.

Last edited:
Do these use the same kind of transformer as regular Neon lighting? I just won one on the raffle from Dave and I'm trying to read up about them so I can get it up and running.

Lasher

Short Answer... NO...

The Power Supply block uses an electroninic step-up voltage network
that outputs a Very High DC voltage... and is Epoxy encapsulated.

A Neon Sign transformer outputs AC voltage...:cool:

Jerry

Plus they have a starting sequence that gives it an even higher voltage initially.

VR
Al