Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Could I have damaged my LED LCD monitor?

I shined the light for a few seconds, from about 1 meter, a little more. The beam was unfocused and the laser has been losing power lately (I think it's the battery or something).
The laser's rated at 70mw but it's probably lower now since I dropped it a few times, that or the battery's dying or something.
Am I obsessing too much over this? I see no dead pixels but I'm afraid that they'll show up later or something. I wish they won't...
I'm asking this because it already happened to me, I broke a LED 21" monitor but I was lucky enough to get a better one, 23" newer (released a few months ago) and 2x expensive than the other and sexier: S23B300B - GALLERY | SAMSUNG but when I broke the old one It was focused and at close range (I was on my desk trying to burn some plastic and my hand slipped and the laser was pointing at the screen, the result was orange dead pixels that looked like a cut across the screen)

So can the leds/crystals (whatever get damaged) get damaged gradually and slowly lose power or if they're damaged they're completely dead?

green laser 50mw

Last edited:

If you aren't seeing dead pixels by now, your monitor will likely be completely fine.

PHEW, I thought I'd have to send back this one too... Thanks for reassuring me.

Be warned, if you're reading this thread DO NOT point it anywhere close to any kind of monitor, be it at your computer's screen or your smartphone's display. You may not be lucky as me, you could live in a civilized country where people heard about burning lasers and the guys at the warranty department could think you did this on purpose and is anyway considered the customer's fault if he doesn't take care about the product. Also take care when not wearing goggles, you could blind yourself in a fraction of a second if you shine the laser at a reflective surface and in your eyes (you may think "ehhh i got one tiny retina and the laser can go everyhwere" nope it happens all the time). I'm selling my laser and I'm going to get one when I have more money and can spend it on every safety measure that is necessary.

Last edited:
I too think your monitor is safe so I wouldn't worry too much over it.
You said that you shined it at the monitor for a few seconds and the it was unfocused...
Do you remember the diameter of the laser?
If it was over an cm/inch, the <70mW beam probably didn't do anything to it.
(Although watch out for the reflection if the Samsung monitor is glossy.)

Really appreciate your waiting to get some good safety measures!

About your first monitor, was it the same laser that you had shone the new monitor? How long did you shine it for? Just curious. :)

To my knowledge, LCD monitors essentially have two elements: the liquid crystal panel itself and the light source that acts as a backlight. Since your monitor is a LED monitor, the backlight source here is a bunch of LED diodes at the edges of the display. What a laser beam does is it burns out the liquid crystals (obviously) and kills the pixels.

So can the leds/crystals (whatever get damaged) get damaged gradually and slowly lose power or if they're damaged they're completely dead?
green laser 50mw

To answer your question specifically, if you don't see any signs of damage now, chances are that your display is fine. Haven't heard of a LCD panel degrading over time, unlike the old CRT tubes.

Hope I helped. Have fun and be safe!

Last edited:
Your monitor should be safe. The laser would damage it immediately. I damaged a monitor a while back. I was wearing my goggles and using a 2W handheld to etch a pattern into a piece of wood. A fly landed on the nearby LCD screen (Ihate flies ...). I shot the fly, it sizzled, and the rest of the beam hit my screen. The result was an instant area of about 10 dead pixels.

I too think your monitor is safe so I wouldn't worry too much over it.
You said that you shined it at the monitor for a few seconds and the it was unfocused...
Do you remember the diameter of the laser?
If it was over an cm/inch, the <70mW beam probably didn't do anything to it.
(Although watch out for the reflection if the Samsung monitor is glossy.)

Really appreciate your waiting to get some good safety measures!

About your first monitor, was it the same laser that you had shone the new monitor? How long did you shine it for? Just curious. :)

To my knowledge, LCD monitors essentially have two elements: the liquid crystal panel itself and the light source that acts as a backlight. Since your monitor is a LED monitor, the backlight source here is a bunch of LED diodes at the edges of the display. What a laser beam does is it burns out the liquid crystals (obviously) and kills the pixels.

To answer your question specifically, if you don't see any signs of damage now, chances are that your display is fine. Haven't heard of a LCD panel degrading over time, unlike the old CRT tubes.

Hope I helped. Have fun and be safe!
It was probably an average diameter since the laser was pretty cheap. Well it shined for a couple of seconds since I wasn't looking, It was so foolish of me, I shouldn't have played with it on the table. And to top it off I even tried it the second time to see if the orange (they were bright orange) pixels were just stuck or burnt, the result... didn't surprise me at all. But at that moment it was focused so at that close range it probably had a very tiny diameter, this time It was unfocused and the distance was a little bigger, and I think lower power too (laser started getting less bright, thought it was just me getting used to its power but then I notice it flickers once in a while so It might be broke, certainly not 75mw anymore).