Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Cooling fan screams it out helppls

Im getting crazy of my cooling fan. Its a small usb thingy but it makes HUGE sound.
I want to get rid of it. If i touch any part of the fan with my finger, the sound stops instantly. If i let go it begins again. I already super glued everything tight. Any ideas to stop this noise? The fan must stay on because i cant sleep with these temperatures^^

Blord

You must put this on the Dutch Tweakers.net site :)

Change the fan into something more quiet. Or solder a resistor into the fan lead in order to drop the voltage to 7-8 Volt.

Things

Sounds like its stalling. Pull the label off 1 side of it, and drip some light oil in the bearing at the back.

Any chance you can post a video of it? It makes it a lot easier for us to see the exact problem.

Blord

Have you considered buying these ? A larger fan at low speed makes less noise than a smaller fan at high speed.

Midea_BT_05_1.jpg

earplugs

Sound machines help me sleep every night.
I have two near my bed on each side both making surf sounds that are slightly different. On sounds like waves breaking on the beach and the other a little like water in a small stream or brook. Most give you five or six choices--I cant stand the one for babies-- a heatbeat. And the others like sea birds or song birds or crickets are too repetitive. I have severe sleep apnea and must fall asleep wearing a CPAP mask attached to a CPAP machine that makes it own noise but not very loud. Its a 900$ gloified aquarium pump ...lol.

Last edited:
Things has it right on. Depending on the bearing type, and construction of the fan... results will vary, but if you can undo the spring clip holding the shaft and blades in, you should be able to inspect it for cleaning and/or lubricating.

You can also go crazy with disc brake cleaner if it's just dirty, it'll remove any crap that's in there and won't hurt the electric motor. Just lubricate the bearing afterwards.

@ Blord, +1 for get a new fan.

@ Hak, A CPAP is a white noise machine. One helps me sleep every night too.
I honestly don't know how I survived so many years without one. When I did my sleep study I was told that I woke up something like once every 45 seconds due to my fat tongue suffocating me.

My Dr always asks about "Compliance". I laugh because now I can't fall asleep without the damn thing.

Last edited:
^^^ me too- about 50 times per hour.. I was falling asleep the wheel and was tired all the time- nobody wanted to be around at night me as I snored so bad...it put a terrible strain on ones heart...
sleep study saved my life- my CPAP goes with me everywhere.

I tell everybody that has such problems to take the study. And while its true that CPAPs work they will not cure sleep apnea just treats the symptoms. It does take a little effort to get used to wearing the mask its well worth the effort.

For BorGQ --get a new fan--you sleep is worth more..

Yall are lucky, my problem is RLS. Im a runner, before i found a nice illegal drug, in HS nothing would work. I would wake up in pain, my legs basically demanding me to use them. Many school nights were wasted running a few miles to get tired. Then waking up at 6:30am, just to go run with my cross country team. Now i smoke my meds and my legs dont give me any pain, they still want to move. My fiance says I always kick her in bed... BUT, other meds the doctors prescribed gave me HORRIBLE side effects, from day long migraines to not being able to stay awake during my night shifts at work. They didnt even help out either.

borgqueenx have you thought about ear plugs? Or turning on the radio?

Last edited:
RLS must suck. With apnea, even with the CPAP, sometime I'll kick as my body tries to tell me "Wake the hell up and breathe!" It is bad enough that we finally got rid of the King bed and got 2 full sized just so I don't KungFu my wife at night.:crackup:

My poor wife... she is a saint.

Last edited: