Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Converting momentary switch to an on/off one....?

DanBee

Hello all,

newbie here, so go easy on me please!

I have just very recently invested in one of these puppies from DX:
sku_1103_1.jpg

Very impressed with the beam and power of it, and am being super careful with not looking into the beam and or pointing it at anyone or any animals.

However, as a newbie to the world of laser pointers, I did not realise that you had to keep your finger on the switch to keep it on, I was expecting an on/off switch.

I have since learned that the switch installed I believe is called a momentary switch (?) and if this is correct, I would dearly like to know what I can do to convert it into an on/off switch.

ie do I need to replace the existing switch, or is there another way I can modify the existing setup?

I'm aware there is a risk of breakage when trying to dissasemble it, but as it is only £5, I'm willing to have a go.

I have not soldered for sometime, but could buy one and have a go if someone can give me some pointers, if that is the way to achieve what I'm after,

Many thanks

Dan

sinner

You cannot change the tiny switch by yourself, as you will need someone to do it for you if anybdy im quite sure will be generous enf to help you out..
the on/off switch (Or clicky switches) are much bigger in size i think that would be a main problem.. or you can just override the momentary switch and drill a hole in the back and put a tiny clicky in there.. there is a lot to try but you can also mess up the complete laser i mean there are pretty good chances to something to go wrong.. In that case stick to the first advice ;)

DanBee

Many thanks for your reply Sinner,

Is there no way I can modify the existing switch, so that one click leaves it on, and another click switches it off...?

That would be the ideal, but I do not know much about it, and subsequently whether it is possible!

Last edited:
The momentary switch in that pointer is tiny, and it is soldered to the driver board of the module.
I'm only guessing the dimensions, but I'd probably say that the switch is 1/4" x 1/4" square.

Sinner is right, clicky switches are bigger.

I do not believe that a momentary can be modded to be clicky.
Clickies can be modded to be momentary though. :p

Sorry, I think you would be better finding another laser with a on-off already equipped.

Or, the module can be stripped out and installed in a new host, DIY style, if you are confident with your building skills.

Oh yea, welcome to the forum and make sure you read the stickies, especially the safety section. :D

Momentary switches are also used to help limit the duty cycle of units. Your finger gets tired before overdoing it.
Mostly in these lower power units they are used because they are much cheaper.
You could always configure a switch between the end terminal of the battery and the contact point for the "case" then just put a hose clamp over the side switch to hold it down all the time. Then you just need to figure out how to mount your new switch.
There are small round ones available that would have a similar diametre that I suppose you could attach to the bottom end extending the length by the length of the switch but you might want to make sure that it can't be turned on too easily by accidental contact. (By pressing it into a pocket and turning it on, for example.)
That's all that comes to my mind sitting here at work right now.
Play safe, have fun, and welcome to LPF.

Ablaze

Momentary switches are much more compact, simple, and cheap than on/off switches. I, too, would love to find a small, simple on/off switch but I have spent days looking at switches and have never found one.

A momentary switch can be made into an on/off switch using a relay but you could never fit a relay into that small of an enclosure and that tiny little push button is almost certainly smack dab in the middle of a non-optional circuit board.

I have heard tell that a mux can be used to turn a momentary into an on/off as well, but every time I try to look that up I end up at one extremely technical diagram or another.. things start to spin and I end up in the kitchen with no memory of what I was trying to do a second ago. Anyway, a mux also wouldn't fit into that little pen.

sinner

I have a green laser pointer just like you, maybe bit different but a pen style .. I was at the 4th level of my house which is the highest i can get to , i forgot the greenie there, and its been 4 days i just remembered after reading your post :p
I will try doing some modifications and will let you know..

ShortyInCanada is right, because it really sucks when the fingers get a bit of strain pushing the momentary button.. i mean what the hell , i dont need finger-ceps :p

A piece of tape and a penny. Tape the penny down over the switch.

Otherwise you'll need to take the pointer apart, buy a toggle switch, desolder the old switch, and resolder on the new one. Probably not worth the effort: those hosts are hard enough to take apart without some hardwood block grips, a vice, and some clamps.

vk2fro

A zip tie is even better, and it can be reused over and over or slid completly off the laser pointer to work stock. No sticky residue and no modifications.

Place a zip tie on the pen and pull it tight enough so that it holds the button down, but not so tight it rips the rubber button cover out of the laser when you slide it off the switch to turn off the laser. Cut off the tail of the zip tie.

To remove the zip tie, just slide it all the way down the end and off the laser. Or cut it with a pair of diagonal pliers.

Last edited:
Or even just a rubber band and a Popsicle stick. I've used that on one of my side-button lasers.