Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Contemplating new purchase, dont want to go blue but $$$$$$

Rifter

So I love lasers, since getting into this hobby 2 months ago ive come to be very fascinated with them. Im looking to expand my laser inventory into the 500mw to 1W range.

So ive never liked following the crowd so didn't want to just grab a M140 and run it at 1-2W and call it a day, because EVERYONE is doing that. So ive spent the last 30 days figuring out why everyone is doing it, there is literally no other options that are even slightly comparable in price. Want a 1W green well that will be $600+, reds are not so bad with the 700mw oclaro being reasonably cheap but owning a 300mw red already I was looking into other colors. Yellow and orange are simply not options. Im interested in 460-500nm options like a sky blue or aqua blue but they are expensive as well.

Anyone have any suggestions on a not M140 diode that's 1w and under $100? even other blues not 445nm would be ok.

Thanks guys.

I'd go with the 1.6W PLTB450B Osram diode here:beer:

It has better divergence and is 450nm not 445nm like the M140

Last edited:

Rifter

I agree with Photonz. Another option would be the new 462nm here: https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf/home/diodes/ndb7675-1-4w-462nm but expensive. It looks like you don't have a 405nm yet, you should try one of those.

Alan

How visible is 405? I have seen people post its violet colored, others say gray and almost invisible.

I guess when my theoretically 5mw violet 2xAAA ebay pens show up ill get to see for myself but its just weird how many different posts describe the 405 color differently.

How visible is 405? I have seen people post its violet colored, others say gray and almost invisible.

I guess when my theoretically 5mw violet 2xAAA ebay pens show up ill get to see for myself but its just weird how many different posts describe the 405 color differently.

Yes that is because its just about at the end of the visible spectrum so people will see it differently. Its not nearly as visible as blue. The closer you get to 400nm or 800nm it rapidly becomes less visible.

Alan

Rifter

I'd go with the 1.6W PLTB450B Osram diode here:beer:

It has better divergence and is 450nm not 445nm like the M140

I went with this one and driver from DTR a C6 host from survival laser.

Thanks for all the input guys, dont worry ill build a 1-3w blue soon :)

To my eyes 405nm is far less visible than even 660nm. I don't know if I would even see a beam at 1W
(though I intend to find out someday:D).

You won't regret going with the PL TB450B. They are awesome diodes.

Last edited:

Rifter

Yeah I'll build a 1w 405nm for burning eventually but I'm still in the exploring colors phase of my laser addiction right now lol.

To my eyes 405nm is far less visible than even 660nm. I don't know if I would even see a beam at 1W
(though I intend to find out someday:D).

You won't regret going with the PL TB450B. They are awesome diodes.

Yeah I'll build a 1w 405nm for burning eventually but I'm still in the exploring colors phase of my laser addiction right now lol.

At 590mw I can easily see the beam in dim lighting and I am amazed at how easily it burns stuff (link in my sig), it burns as good or better than a 1.5W 445, but not everyone sees it well, I read somewhere a few people can't see it at all.

Alan

Rifter

At 590mw I can easily see the beam in dim lighting and I am amazed at how easily it burns stuff (link in my sig), it burns as good or better than a 1.5W 445, but not everyone sees it well, I read somewhere a few people can't see it at all.

Alan

Yeah its killing me waiting for my eBay 405nm pens to arrive, I don't by any means expect them to be good lasers but I am interested in how well my eyes see 405nm.

Yeah its killing me waiting for my eBay 405nm pens to arrive, I don't by any means expect them to be good lasers but I am interested in how well my eyes see 405nm.

I got one of those 405nm eBay pens and it measured 50mW which in almost complete darkness I can see a faint beam (still cool). My 630mW 405 is just like how Pi R Squared described theirs.

Rifter

I got one of those 405nm eBay pens and it measured 50mW which in almost complete darkness I can see a faint beam (still cool). My 630mW 405 is just like how Pi R Squared described theirs.

Both of mine arrived today(I had ordered 2 3 packs of R/G/V color from ebay for $8 each)

They are both VERY dark purple to my eyes but I can see it, they are also both identical colored so they probably are 405nm.

I have not had a chance to LPM them yet but they appear to the eyes to be as bright as my LPM tested 4.7mw 532nm so they are probably heavily over spec :)

Also worth mentioning that the 532nm pens from this ebay pack are VERY BRIGHT! they are supposed to be 5mw but are at least 10 times brighter than my 5mw 532nm Laserglow pen.

the red 2 are probably less than 5mw and appear dimmer than my laserglow pen, lol opposite of what I expected for the reds.