Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Considering a Lyra

jerry

I have a cheap green pointer from Amazon that claims to be 20mW.  I have nothing to compare it to so I'm not sure if it really is 20mW.  Overall I've been mildly satisfied with it (it bores me as time goes on, and the dot has lots of excess fuzz around it).  I can see a dim beam at night or in dark rooms, which to me isn't nearly as visible as I have come to expect it to be (based on what I've read about lasers here and on the reviews on Amazon).  Also, I recently found out that it's leaking some IR.  I shined it through some red wine in a glass and saw some of that purple IR light through my camera.  I'm now considering buying a Lyra series laser from Laserglow, even though it's 15mW lower than my laser (if it actually is 20mW which I doubt).  I've heard great things about the Lyra.  It's very affordable for me right now and the deciding factor is brightness.

Can anyone give me a rough mW to brightness scale for green lasers?  How visible is the beam on a 5mW Lyra in different settings?  How visible should a real 20mW be in different settings?  Right now, mine has poor divergence, IR leakage, and a dim beam in the night sky.  I've noticed however that the beam's visibility is sometimes better depending on the weather, but still not incredibly bright like the Amazon reviewers have stated.  I have a bad feeling that my laser was underpowered.  I'm hoping that a good 5mW will be brighter.  I've good things about the Lyra around here.  It seems like a stable laser.  How does its output hold as the battery life drains?  My laser gets dimmer over time until I put in some new batteries.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I can't anser a lot of your questions, but Lyra's (any one of them) are top notch quality. No IR leakage, they're not over/underpowered, and they're simply awesome quality! Laserglow has an excellent reputation and excellent customer service too. I ordered one (a Lyra G5) quite ahwile ago, was expecting it for Christmas, and I still don't have it! :mad: (because of USPS's fault, not Laserglow)

The lasers that Amazon and some other companies sell are "Newish" brand lasers. Newish is a cheap China company that makes cruddy but cheap pointers. You get what you pay for (except wickedlasers).

With a Lyra (any Lyra, they're just diffrent in looks except that the Lyra F is ajustable), you can see the beam pretty well in the dark and you'd have a nice clean dot. Since you have the money, I'd deafinitly reccomend it.

jerry

There's something wrong with your post there: You say that you don't still haven't received yours but you're already recommending it; and you seem to know how bright the beam is already.  Have you tried one?  I can read the descriptions on the site too.  I'm confident that it's a quality product based on its reputation.  All I'm trying to figure out is how bright it is.

Edit: Please don't take this offensively.  I'm not trying to sound like an asshole. :)

he probably heard it from other members that have do have the laser. i dont think he was just going of the description.

I have a Lyra, and I totally recommend it. I also have been though 2 of the cheaper LEDShoppe 5mW lasers, and neither of them compare to the Lyra. The Lyra has excellent divergence, that the two other lasers do not even come close to. It is incredibly stable, no visible decrease in output at all times. All three lasers get warm at the same rate. And both LEDShoppe lasers emit lots of IR. The Lyra does also, but it is a minuscule amount, not even enough to do harm. One of the LEDShoppe lasers looks brighter than the Lyra, but divergence is twice. The other is incredibly dim and mode hops on startup. If you're looking for a stable, problem free laser, then the Lyra is exactly what you need.

As per the beam, the Lyra has a slightly visible beam in the night sky. It is not very noticeable, but when you do notice it, it is very easy to follow.
If all you want is the beam, then you should consider getting the 50mW from LEDShoppe. Yes, it's a gamble, but the Lyra will not give you what you want.

Jimmymcjimthejim said:
I have a Lyra, and I totally recommend it. I also have been though 2 of the cheaper LEDShoppe 5mW lasers, and neither of them compare to the Lyra. The Lyra has excellent divergence, that the two other lasers do not even come close to. It is incredibly stable, no visible decrease in output at all times. All three lasers get warm at the same rate. And both LEDShoppe lasers emit lots of IR. The Lyra does also, but it is a minuscule amount, not even enough to do harm. One of the LEDShoppe lasers looks brighter than the Lyra, but divergence is twice. The other is incredibly dim and mode hops on startup. If you're looking for a stable, problem free laser, then the Lyra is exactly what you need.

As per the beam, the Lyra has a slightly visible beam in the night sky. It is not very noticeable, but when you do notice it, it is very easy to follow.
If all you want is the beam, then you should consider getting the 50mW from LEDShoppe. Yes, it's a gamble, but the Lyra will not give you what you want.

Isn't the Lyra IR filtered?

jerry

Ah, I see. My apologies Andrew.

Thanks to all for the info. I decided to hold off on buying a new green one for now and focus on building my first DIYs :D. I'll keep this in mind when I buy a greenie in the future ;)

jerry said:
Ah, I see.  My apologies Andrew.

Thanks to all for the info.  I decided to hold off on buying a new green one for now and focus on building my first DIYs :D.  I'll keep this in mind when I buy a greenie in the future ;)

No, it was my fault. It does sorta sound like I was a Laserglow employee trying to adveratise.

Just to let you know, if in the future is a month or so, you might as well order it now because the Canadian post is as slow as heck. I'm on my third week of waiting for it. It's been like 15 buisness days of the "6-12 buisness days shipping".

Fotons

Fotons said:
I'm still waiting for my Lyra C5 ordered on 12/29/08 :-X :-[ :p ::) :mad: ;D
I received my lyra c today on 1/6 that I ordered on 12/29 Packaging and case seems to be high quality as well as the laser itself. Alkalines were included and you can see the beam in the dark although it points out at an angle. Overall i'm happy with my lyra. Don't know much else to say about a 5mw so if you want a 5mw greenie you can't go wrong! :)

Fotons said:
[quote author=Fotons link=1231048246/0#9 date=1231225732]I'm still waiting for my Lyra C5 ordered on 12/29/08 :-X :-[ :p ::) :mad: ;D
I received my lyra c today on 1/6 that I ordered on 12/29 Packaging and case seems to be high quality as well as the laser itself. Alkalines were included and you can see the beam in the dark although it points out at an angle. Overall i'm happy with my lyra. Don't know much else to say about a 5mw so if you want a 5mw greenie you can't go wrong! :)[/quote]

What shipping did you order? Mine still didn't come and I'm getting worried. It's been 15 buisness days. You're sooooooooooooooo lucky. You ordered it way after I did and still you get it before I even have mine. Gurr!

Fotons

Andrewajt62 said:
[quote author=Fotons link=1231048246/0#10 date=1231286416][quote author=Fotons link=1231048246/0#9 date=1231225732]I'm still waiting for my Lyra C5 ordered on 12/29/08 :-X :-[ :p ::) :mad: ;D
I received my lyra c today on 1/6 that I ordered on 12/29 Packaging and case seems to be high quality as well as the laser itself. Alkalines were included and you can see the beam in the dark although it points out at an angle. Overall i'm happy with my lyra. Don't know much else to say about a 5mw so if you want a 5mw greenie you can't go wrong! :)[/quote]

What shipping did you order? Mine still didn't come and I'm getting worried. It's been 15 buisness days. You're sooooooooooooooo lucky. You ordered it way after I did and still you get it before I even have mine. Gurr!
[/quote]

I don't remember what shipping but I think it was $9.99 and $2.00 for some b.s. security shipping crap. she said it should take 6-12 days when I called after about a week. I live in Colorado, where do you live? I would call them. BTW after I posted my review I started looking at the box and noticed a tag that stated it was putting out 4.5mw h'mmm I thought laserglow was supposed to be what they advertise. :-?

Andrewajt62 said:
[quote author=Jimmymcjimthejim link=1231048246/0#4 date=1231089315]I have a Lyra, and I totally recommend it. I also have been though 2 of the cheaper LEDShoppe 5mW lasers, and neither of them compare to the Lyra. The Lyra has excellent divergence, that the two other lasers do not even come close to. It is incredibly stable, no visible decrease in output at all times. All three lasers get warm at the same rate. And both LEDShoppe lasers emit lots of IR. The Lyra does also, but it is a minuscule amount, not even enough to do harm. One of the LEDShoppe lasers looks brighter than the Lyra, but divergence is twice. The other is incredibly dim and mode hops on startup. If you're looking for a stable, problem free laser, then the Lyra is exactly what you need.

Isn't the Lyra IR filtered?[/quote]
I think so, but of course an IR filter doesn't absorb 100% of IR. When I shine the laser through my goggles, I can use my cellphone camera (Which picks up IR very easily) to see the IR.

Fotons said:
[quote author=Andrewajt62 link=1231048246/0#11 date=1231298696][quote author=Fotons link=1231048246/0#10 date=1231286416][quote author=Fotons link=1231048246/0#9 date=1231225732]I'm still waiting for my Lyra C5 ordered on 12/29/08 :-X :-[ :p ::) :mad: ;D

[/quote]

I don't remember what shipping but I think it was $9.99 and $2.00 for some b.s. security shipping crap. she said it should take 6-12 days when I called after about a week. I live in Colorado, where do you live? I would call them. BTW after I posted my review I started looking at the box and noticed a tag that stated it was putting out 4.5mw h'mmm I thought laserglow was supposed to be what they advertise. :-?
[/quote]

I got mine but I have to get it replaced because their was dirt on the back of the lens right out of the box (find my review in the review section for more info. On the white box it says under 5mW and over 4.5mW although I emailed Laserglow once and they said it can peak around 6mW, they probobualy just want it to be legal so they say it won't go over 5mW.

jerry said:
I have a cheap green pointer from Amazon that claims to be 20mW.  I have nothing to compare it to so I'm not sure if it really is 20mW.  Overall I've been mildly satisfied with it (it bores me as time goes on, and the dot has lots of excess fuzz around it).  I can see a dim beam at night or in dark rooms, which to me isn't nearly as visible as I have come to expect it to be (based on what I've read about lasers here and on the reviews on Amazon).  Also, I recently found out that it's leaking some IR.  I shined it through some red wine in a glass and saw some of that purple IR light through my camera.

Your laser is not 20mW. I have an Ebay laser that is <15mW, and I can see the beam a little in a lit room. In fact, I also have a green laser from Amazon. I asked them about the power, and they said 20mW, though I doubt it's even 5mW. Can you link which one you bought?