Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

confusion between diode and DPSS lasers?

ixfd64

From what I've heard, DPSS red lasers have much better beam specs than diode lasers, but I checked many sites that claim to sell DPSS 635/650 nm lasers, and their specs are the same as those of multi-mode diode lasers!

Can anyone please explain this?

DPSS red lasers are 671nm. Anyone claiming to have 650/635nm DPSS lasers is simply selling diode lasers.

thanks for that, theres me thinkin wickeds pulsar were dpss :mad: so its just a diode then? it burns ok when focused tho

ixfd64

Red DPSS lasers usually have lower outputs but better specs than red diode lasers. However, DPSS lasers would burn better due to their smaller beam diameter. For example, the irradiance of a 200 mW red DPSS laser with a beam diameter of 1mm would be eight times that of a 400 mW red diode laser with a beam diameter of 4 mm.

Red DPSS lasers tend to have higher prices and lower demand, so we probably won't see companies like NOVAlasers or Optotronics make portable red DPSS lasers in the near future. However, I suspect that some laser enthusiasts would still buy them due to their higher beam quality.

ixfd64 said:
Red DPSS lasers usually have lower outputs but better specs than red diode lasers.

LIES! Aixiz makes a 5W 671nm laser for a mere $27 grand ;) . Show me a 5W 650nm laser with beam specs dissimilar from that of a flashlight.