Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Concave lens

Hi, im trying to make a laser collimator but i need a concave lens, were could i find one without having to buy one, could i use glasses?

An old video camera is a goldmine. You'll find concave/convex lenses and IR-filter(s).

Glasses? no.

only problem ive gt is i dont have an old one and i cant buy one, because i just spent all my money on a laser!

which laser? Look, an Aixiz module costs only about $4. That includes a housing which serves as minimal heatsinking as well as a collimating lens.

If you want to focus the laser you just bought, you need a conVEX lens which can be found in a pocket magnifier (like $5 at a store)

Then it should be fine (except that it's a WL (lol joke). What's the problem?

Did you get that one that was posted on the B/S/T section here? That was one hell of a deal!

im still a bit confused on how to make it and  Im not sure if can use an old pair of glasses as the concave lens, also im not what i should use to cut the lens! Thanks for all the help! no i didnt see that one ill have a look now!

So you're going to make your own laser from a burning diode? You need:

-The diode
-An Aixiz housing
-A host to keep the laser, power source and circuitry in (eg flashlight, project box)
-A driver to regulate current to the diode
-Power source (several normal batteries or a few lithium batteries in a holder)

You can build one for about $40. There are step-by-step tutorials here on exactly how to do it, such as kenom's Dorcy Junior flashlight hack.

DO NOT DO KIPKAY'S MINIMAG HACK.

VillageIdiot said:
If you want to focus the laser you just bought, you need a concave lens which can be found in a pocket magnifier (like $5 at a store)

conVEX... or positive meniscus.. or plano-convex

Top: convex

bottom: concave

721318.jpg

Do you want to make a expander perhaps? The laser should already be collimated otherwise.

Binoculars work.

Cyparagon said:
[quote author=VillageIdiot link=1216561623/0#3 date=1216562861]
If you want to focus the laser you just bought, you need a concave lens which can be found in a pocket magnifier (like $5 at a store)

conVEX... or positive meniscus.. or plano-convex[/quote]

God damnit, I was thinking convex! How did I type concave? :eek: