Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Computer Mice?

Well, it's a very sad day in my house.

My mouse has finally taken a crap, my left click button only works half the time but it succeeds at pissing me off 100% of the time.

Here's what I'm using now, its a Microsoft wired laser mouse. The very first laser mouse Microsoft sold. (Hey, the box said laser so I had to have it!)

Microsoft Laser Mouse 6000 - 5-btn Mouse - Wired - USB

The picture is of my mouse, the links are all some new Microsoft mouse.

I went to best buy and bought a new mouse, but the buttons are so stiff and the side buttons are in just about the worst place ever. I already have it boxed to take back to the store, I hate it that much.

I've looked for an exact replacement of my mouse, but it's about 6 years old and it seems to be replaced by some newer style that I don't think I would like.

So, I'm coming here to see if anyone has any recommendations for a new mouse. The only thing I have to have is side buttons on both the left and right. I don't like the mice that have them on one side only, I like being able to click all my buttons at the same exact time!

I might just move the clicker for the scroll wheel to the left click button, they're both the same exact switch, I think they're both through hole components too so it should be easy. I love this mouse THAT much!

Ezcal

Well, I can't recommend a mouse with buttons on the right, but I can recommend the mouse that I've used and loved for a few years now, the Logitech MX Revolution. There's also the Logitech Laser Mouse MX, which seems to be the newer version of my mouse.

The latter is on sale at the moment here: Logitech Laser Mouse MX

Even if you like the right-side buttons, I'd suggest at least giving this a look at Best Buy or something.

I still love My Logitech Marble mouse, and I'm on the 3rd one "I'm mean to mice". They're getting harder to find these days.

Things

pontiacg5, instead of replacing the whole mouse, why not have a stab at replacing the actual button? 99.9% of the time the contacts just get messy, and the buttons are usually extremely common. You can get them out of almost every electronic device.

I've thought about doing that Things, but I've never seen a switch like this in any cheap thing I would be willing to take apart. It's a very very short throw switch with a very firm push.

I thought about trying to take the switch apart to clean the contacts with scotchbrite (I've done that with some very small switches with excellent success.) but these are plasti-welded together.

There is hope though, the clicker of the mouse wheel is the same as the rest of the switches. I could move that button to the left click and move the left click to the wheel and I'd probably be alright.

Has anyone ever seen a switch like this?

IMG_20110128_191822.jpg

Just for fun, here's a picture of my last switch replacing endeavor. My boss bought an older M2 Mazak CNC Mill (That is late 80's for those not in the know! We've nicknamed it the M-Dikkity Two, although I'm not sure why. Probably because it's so slow!) Almost every one of the buttons was trashed, only working half the time. So I set out looking for a replacement switch but one directly from Mazak was around $18 bucks each and there are 60 something switches that needed replaced. An entire new circuit board, with all new switches, was a good deal less than that!

So, I went to Digikey and looked up data sheet after data sheet until I found something remotely close. The only problem was that the replacement button I found would not fit the riser of the old switch. I decided to make a replacement set on a lathe and this is what I ended up with. The black switch in the front is the old style, the white ones are my doing. :crackup:

IMG_20110103_133108.jpg

They look uneven, but the screen overlay that these go under lines them all up real nice. Think of this as a giant version of an ATM keypad!

M2_Controlsm.JPG

Sweet work on the switches. Man that mill is a Dinosaur. I hope you have a Mori Seiki or a tsugami around the shop somewhere to pick up the slack from that one.

All the CNC mills and Lathes we have are Mazak machines. Nothing beats Mazatrol for on the fly conversational programming.

Well, that's not entirely true. We do have two 2 axis CNC Bridgeport knee mills. I don't count those though because I'm the only one that uses them.

I did find a post porcessor for them, and I've made some pretty cool stuff with them both!

Like this Chevy logo for my Blazer...
IMG_20110114_184837.jpg

Or our company logo on a sillplate at work...

IMG_20101110_142738.jpg

Thanks for the recommendations everyone, but I have to have a right side button. What happened to all of the mice with right side buttons anyway?

looking for a left handed mouse would be an option. I'm sure they exist. Haven't worked on a Mazak yet, but I believe they have a better reputation that Matsuura. I've replaced lots of spindles and axis screws on them. A light crash and them damn things are all F'ed up Not sturdy at all.