Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Component review:O-Like module housing for red and blue laser.

resal7

Package shipped fast.Closed in a blister envelope and inside a sealed anti-electrostatic bag.
2603-p5142659.jpg

The two versions (one for red 640nm-680nm AR coated lens-blueish coat-and one for 405nm violet laser AR coated lens-yellowish coat-)are identical in all dimensions except the lens housing-screw and the lens of course!

They both are made of high quality aluminium alloy (very light-extremely hard for aluminium,threads stay tight after many cycles of screw in-out).That,also, means very good thermal conductivity (something between 120-180 W/(m*K)for Al alloys..... 237-250W/(m*K) for pure aluminium!!!).Much better of the mere 100 W/(m*K) of Aixiz/Meredith/Ls4u and many other's brass..Add the fact that more aluminium mass will be added when the module will sit in the host(heatsink-torch /machined host).They are also black anodized, (medium scratch-resistance..)that helps when diode case is a no-no to touch with host ground.Well I wouldn't count only on that for insulation ,though.

Both of them cosist of five parts :
2605-p5142662.jpg

1)The barrel of the module,[31.25mm length,17.5mm outer dia-11.2mm inner dia,closed end 3mm cable hole,M11?(not sure..)thread 5.5mm deep].It has plenty of room for most of the drivers and maybe it can fit a voltage regulator along (L78xx series).Screwed together with the head-heatsink the module measures 44.35mm long-without the lens protruding.
2)brass screw lock to secure the diode in place.Fits well with the diode and secures it tightly.One can take the diode out to replace very easy..just add with a fine paint brush a bit of silver paste in threads.Do not overscrew.
3)the "head-heatsink" where the diode is screwed in and secured.The fitting for the diode is a bit "loose"but the brass lock does a fine job securing and alligning the diode.It has four large round fins for cooling and in front a hole 12.1mm deep(..until it touches the diode can)M9 threaded,to accept the lens screw-housing.Some remarks a)Although there is a thread for o-ring after the threads where the head screw in with the barrel,there is no o-ring in both of module housings.
2607-p5142665.jpg

After i fitted a small silicone o- ring the head feels much more secured to the barrel.
2606-p5142663.jpg

4)Spring (bboing-boing..where the @#$% it went?????)
5)The lens screw-housing

5a)Lens for 405nm.the fitting is made of brass,copper plated and then painted black.It measures 10,2mm length ,only the bottom half is threaded M9with an o-ring and the upper part has 7,55mm dia.The lens 6,35mm dia sits at the bottom near the diode.The lens is about 2mm thick and has a yelloish tint from the AR coating.Personally i will remove the small o-ring,ultra- sonic clean it with chloroform for the glue to go away,unscrew the retainer ring and change the lens with a 405-g1 lens from lasers4.

5b)lens for red.The same material,better matte finnish.The same length as for 405 but all threaded.this time the retainer ring is from the opposite side(to the diode side).No o-ring makes 'wobly' screwing-unscrewing.Spring gives winding effect.you one turn in ,spring 1/2 turn out.Focus is going to take some time...hope not forever.Teflon tape?blue threadlock glue?..or maybe a focus ring FOR BOTH THE MODULES.That's something o-like should consider..
Lens has the familiar high quality "blueish" AR coat gloss!Looks nice .Further test should be done...Its a keep till something better.A picture in a cheapo aluminium host with machined heatsink inside and a carbon fiber front mask
2604-p5142667.jpg

Hasta la Vista...

Last edited:

resal7

Hmmmm.It seems I have a problem with pics ...they are on my album...hmmm ..something i did wrong.....

Benm

Too bad about the pics, but i know what these modules look like.

I havent ordered any myself as i have some doubts: surely they are better at heatsinking than the common aixiz, but are they big enough to heatsink a 200 mW-ish red by themselves, or do they still need additional heatsinking to run continoulsy?

To me they seem like good value products, but just a bit to small to be up to the real task.

resal7

You can take a look at my personal forum album for the pics.
Well I made one red laser with that module housing at aprox. 250mw (red diode -open can from 20x dvd burner sled -running at 355mA).Just the module.no additinal heat sinking.Up until now it works perfect with no excess heating(ambient temp:23 celsious).Time will show.Anyhow it looks like a serious piece of ,industrial grade, module housing.
A focus adjustable ring option would have made it perfect for my applications(250-300mW reds,200-500mW Violets(405nm)

With extra heatsinking I think they can handle the heat emmited by a 12x BRd just fine.So why not a 200mW red?

resal7

...the blister on my finger is from the crap i call solder iron...

Benm

Careful with soldering ;)

About the focus ring: couldn't you just fix one to it? Lens looks identical thread to the common aixiz module, and you can switch focus rings between lenses with those.

resal7

:yh:Here is a bit difficult to find anything about lasers.Can you suggest where to find an adjustment ring?
thanx..