Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Completely Custom 445

About a month ago i started on my own little project in my shop class. A full brass body host for a A140 445. This is made from 1 inch bar stock on the lathe, brass body and a smaller aluminum heat sink for the smaller module I turned down and a press fit into the host. It was a fun little project figuring out every little detail. 3/4 10tpi and all that. The pictures will speak for the spotless work, its simple but I like it. Notice how the tail cap blends almost perfect with the rest of it to where you can barely see it.

It is a A140 445 diode, using a micro flexdrive set to just about 800mA, which should give about 800mw according to other tests done with the A140s. The flexdrive is heatsunk into the modules aluminum heat sink, which is heatsunk into the rest of the brass host.

DSCN0759-1.jpg

DSCN0762-1.jpg

DSCN0764-1.jpg

DSCN0765-1.jpg

Here it is with thee 17670 battery. 4.2 V on a full charge, I'm not sure about the mA but it gives almost 2 hours of run time. It's 5.650 inches long and the diameter is .950. With the focus ring attached it's around 6 inches.
DSCN0767-1.jpg

The smaller module with the A140 445 pressed in and wires attached. The module was turned down to just about .400
DSCN0780-1.jpg

And of course a beamshot during the day
DSCN0783-1.jpg

Thanks for looking!

very nice and shinny work!
Thats got to have a very good run time being all brass.
GJ!

thanks everyone. It has to be my favorite build so far, the color, work, everything in to it. It's fun watching it go from a solid chunk of metal to what you thought you could only imagine it to be.

hah yea.. I've had it on for 4 mins straight and the whole thing only got a little warm.

The fingerprints were horrible at first, then once I had the whole thing naturally oxidized it's a little shiny still but I like the rugged look to it. It reminds me of antique stuff.

Any picture/video requests?

kobi g

Nice build, and looks like you even can get higer power with this host.

ped

The threading on the tailcap and body is astonishing.

Well done. +1 rep.

r8nd0m

I didn't even notice that the tailcap was on in the first two pictures.

Love the simplicity! If it had a large flush rear clicky it would have been my dream host. Great job and amazing machine work.

Nicely done.:) How did you get the Brace to look like a shine polished chrome look.?

Thanks again everyone.

I sanded the tailcap down along with the rest of the host so it would be as flush as possible. Going up the grits from 500 to 2500, then I got the buffing wheel out n shined it up, same thing with the aluminum.
I'm thinking about making another for any future projects for when I'm out of high school. It's my last year.. the machine shop is what I'll miss the most.