Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Completed

Arayan

Re: WTB: Dragan Lasers Beam Expander

I have a Melles Griot 10X beam expander (C mount), but I don't know if it can fit on your laser.

Last edited:

I'm not sure I could afford the Melles Griot 10x any way, those are worth a little more, heh.

Edit:

I'm checking with DL, one of the first review for the 1W dragon states the front cap on the spartan is not removable like the older spartan models, so I may not be able to use a beam expander. I'll post again when I am sure or have my laser to confirm, which should be anyday now.

From DL:

The lens cap of the 447nm Spartan lasers can be removed albeit with a fair bit of effort. I recommend using something rubber like dish washing gloves that will give you excellent grip when you try removing the lens cap.

The original beam expander is designed for lasers with a beam diameter of less than 2.5mm. It will still work with these lasers but there will be some power loss and a change in beam profile.

Found one for sale, thank you guy!

Last edited:
Hello
Please tell me what a Beam expander really does. Is the beam thicker and will it keep the shape for long distances?
Thanks for explains !

HIMNL9

Hello
Please tell me what a Beam expander really does. Is the beam thicker and will it keep the shape for long distances?
Thanks for explains !

As the name say ..... it "expand" the beam from the emission point, giving it a much better divergence for focusing in the long distance .....

There's a phisical limit to how much you can focus good a thin beam of light, so in long distance, starting with an 1mm beam (just as example), you cannot get less than a certain diameter (that depend from the distance and divergence of the beam) ..... but, if you use a beam expander for start with, still as example, a 10mm diameter beam, you can have a much better spot at long distance.

Ofcourse, due to this, beam expanders are useless for short distance pointing, they are needed for long distance pointing only .....

Thanks HIMNL9 !!!

i think there are other people interested what a Beam expander really does.
Please, it is absolutly not my intention to make surreptitious advertising. Surfing the Web i found at "Laserglow" superb illustrations what Beam expanders exactly are doing.

Peace out there !!!

Now, i go shaking my ass at the STREET PARADE in Zürich.