Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Comparison of Phlatlight LED's out of the M140 vs A140

Hey Guys,

Something interesting i found Opening up another M140. Up until now i just been putting the LEDs aside not unscrewing them because i dint think anything of it.

Until now.... Iam working on my next "Phlatlight" Build so i started to unsrew the LED from the projector and seen that the LED emitter has Changed to a Much Smaller Size compared to the ones found in the A140. It seems to be like this in all my M140 projectors. When Running both the Red Phlatlight LED's from the A140 and M140 in Series they appear Equal in brightness.:D

What does this mean. Well a Little better throw. I Dough its anything Drastic but its something which is an Improvement. SO it doesn't hurt. Iam not sure if anything is different between the Older A140 Phlatlight Red LEDs and the New ones in the M140 other then the Emitter size but Ive hit the new one out of the M140 with the exact same currant as the Older ones that where in the A140 and they take the same 12A Just fine.:)

"Please note i would not go past 9A if you dont want to risk killing you LED"

Just to be clear the older PT54 Red Phlatlight in the A140 was able to take 12A no Problem and has a larger emitter size. This is what the Max Output i have my Tri Phlatlight build Running at and i use it quit a bit.
http://laserpointerforums.com/f66/d...d-phlatlight-leds-maglite-build-9a-68525.html

These New PT54 Red Phlatlight LEDs that are now in the M140 also Can take the 12A No problem so far and they are equal in brightness to my eye. If I had a Supply that actually can run them Higher then 12A I would Push it to its breaking Point to see where its at but i dont have one.

My best guess is that they just improved the Emitter size and still maintain the Same Amp's Vs Brightness as the Older ones that where found in the A140 with the larger Emitters.

However could it be possible that these are the ones that can take Higher Amperage and put out more lumen's.? That is what iam most curious about.

I took a few Photos so you guys can see the difference....

Pictures:

On the Left M140 LED & On the Right A140 LED

DSC01976.jpg

On the Left M140 LED & On the Right A140 LED

DSC01977.jpg

DSC01978.jpg

DSC01979.jpg

DSC01980.jpg

Phlatlight LED out of the M140 Close Up.
DSC01983.jpg

Phlatlight LED out of the A140 Close Up.
DSC01986.jpg

:thanks: For Looking.!!!

Last edited:

Please do.:) I want to know what these can take. I popped the Larger Emitter ones with 14-15A but iam wondering if these can take more.:)

Interesting that the a140 would have an led with a bigger emitter, isn't the m140 rated for more lumens?

Interesting that the a140 would have an led with a bigger emitter, isn't the m140 rated for more lumens?

They are the Same. IIRC there is 3 "Different" PT54 style Red Phlatlight LED's on Mousers. One ~5.6A Currant Next is ~8A and final 18A or 30A Max Currant cant remember. Dont Quote me on the exact Numbers but there around that.

So Far we have seen the 8A ones in these Projectors. Iam Hoping this one can take more which is the Highest Lumen you can get out of the Red PT54 style LED.

Last edited:

Fiddy

Depends what current your talking about, e.g. Pulsed or CW.

PT-54 Red
Pulsed = 13.5A @ 25% duty cycle.
CW = 8.1A

PT-121 Red
Pulsed = 30A @ 25% duty cycle.
CW = 18A

sinner

Thats the upgraded technology in there, as it advances it gets smaller just like everything else.. You got a nice and keen observation angelos!! nice find

Depends what current your talking about, e.g. Pulsed or CW.

PT-54 Red
Pulsed = 13.5A @ 25% duty cycle.
CW = 8.1A

PT-121 Red
Pulsed = 30A @ 25% duty cycle.
CW = 18A

I Always get the 2 confused.:p Regardless though the PT-54 can take 13-14A CW.

Thats the upgraded technology in there, as it advances it gets smaller just like everything else.. You got a nice and keen observation angelos!! nice find

Exactly. Iam Hoping to have a tighter beam now. Iam going to put a Single light together tonight and see the difference. If its Noticeable Ill Post Live shots.:)

sinner

That sounds good.. I wonder how a fresnel with a short focal length will perform, to my knowledge they require a point source and will collimate the light.. they are also very efficient as they allow 90-95% light to pass through collimated..
I guess something like this 6mm fl 16x14mm Fresnel Dome

Last edited:

Blord

I think a reflector will give a better "dot" but for beam spec a lens or Fresnel is better. You will get a square dot with the latter.

Thanks for comparison !

Last edited:
Could you measure the emitting area, i.e. the monolithic die?

I wonder if it is a PT-39. Or a cbt 40. I don't remember seeing the cbt40 on there before...

From some pixel counting and simple maths, I came out with a square die of 5/3mmx5/3mm for a total area of ~2.777mm^2, but perhaps you have something to measure the die with.

This page has the die dimensions for the various models. No datasheets, though you can find older datasheets at various distributors' sites. Keep in mind that the model number (i.e. 54, 121, 90) is the area of the die, to the tens decimal. so 54-5.4mm^2, 121 - 12.1mm^2, etc. Luminus Devices: Color LEDs

http://www.mouser.com/catalog/specsheets/pt54phlatlight.pdf
http://www.luminus.com/products/dat...nus_CBT-40 Product Datasheet Illumination.pdf

Last edited:
Could you measure the emitting area, i.e. the monolithic die?

I wonder if it is a PT-39. Or a cbt 40. I don't remember seeing the cbt40 on there before...

From some pixel counting and simple maths, I came out with a square die of 5/3mmx5/3mm for a total area of ~2.777mm^2, but perhaps you have something to measure the die with.

This page has the die dimensions for the various models. No datasheets, though you can find older datasheets at various distributors' sites. Keep in mind that the model number (i.e. 54, 121, 90) is the area of the die, to the tens decimal. so 54-5.4mm^2, 121 - 12.1mm^2, etc. Luminus Devices: Color LEDs

http://www.mouser.com/catalog/specsheets/pt54phlatlight.pdf
http://www.luminus.com/products/dat...nus_CBT-40 Product Datasheet Illumination.pdf

Sure thing Buddy.:) Ill Do it when i get home from Work.:beer:

I Know there is alot less Bonding Wires too.

Blord

Maybe the wires are thicker. You need to see it under a microscope.

Maybe the wires are thicker. You need to see it under a microscope.

Or with your Camera.:D If you like you can send it over to me to take shots.?:whistle:

I'll send it back when iam Done.:na:

I Have a Mini Microscope that DJNY Gave me.:) I should be able to tell the difference.:)

Last edited: